Forum Index
Home | Facebook | Twitter | Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New comic investment blog--with data

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rai-fan
Man of Comic Investing Awesomeness

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: New comic investment blog--with data Reply with quote

Just came across this blog, which offers just the sort of data-driven reporting & analysis we strive for here at Lyria. Recommended!

http://www.sundrycollectibles.net/comics/
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great website! Applause
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new post on November 22nd! Suprised Applause
SundryCollect
noob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Thanks for the kudos Reply with quote

Thanks for the kudos guys....fyi, I just posted a new graph showing early Disney Four Color data. I collect these books, so it is interesting to me. I will take requests if anyone wants to see a particular set of data. Smile
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suprised Think
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about New Tales of the Teen Titans run? Hope
define999
hobbyist

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great informative website! You are a Lyria mobster for sure... you belong here.... Thumbs Up

Me personally... I would love to see some analysis on something more obscure..... like maybe the Atlas books from the 70's or even trends for the most popular war titles.... Think

Or even foreigns..... but you probably knew I was going to say that! Laughing Though this would be almost impossible being that thier is really no comprehensive data set for these books.... not many CGC's at all either....

I wonder if someone has started to work on collecting this data yet? Think

View my massive comic related links page here...
http://comicbookcollection.webs.com/apps/links/
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

define999 wrote:

I wonder if someone has started to work on collecting this data yet? Think

Poke Insane
SundryCollect
noob

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Atlas Seaboard CGC data Reply with quote

So I took the suggestion and went off and looked at Atlas Seaboard books. Not a whole lot to talk about...but still interesting to stare at the data! check it out at http://www.sundrycollectibles.net/comics/.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very cool. Thanks for the link.
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this set will remain dead for another 20 years. Atlas screwed up the revival of these characters and guaranteed no one will care for a long time.
Rai-fan
Man of Comic Investing Awesomeness

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the books. Was first introduced to them in a big "History of Comics" coffee table book from about 1989-1990, in which the Atlas line was roundly mocked.

Still, it was the first time that a venture capitalist basically created a line from scratch and hired some of the best talent in the industry at above-market rates to launch the books. Very reminiscent to me not of Valiant, but of Ultraverse, which similarly took a top-talent approach.

The difference is that Atlas went beyond the superhero genre to include action books, sword & sorcery, romance, horror, etc.

A cool little time capsule from the 70s, and well worth adding a few to your collection, given that there are only 28 issues total, and by such talent as Neal Adams, Steve Ditko and Wally Wood.

Did Defiant last more than 28 issues? Dark Dominion was something like 10-12, right?
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rai-fan wrote:
I like the books. Was first introduced to them in a big "History of Comics" coffee table book from about 1989-1990, in which the Atlas line was roundly mocked.

Still, it was the first time that a venture capitalist basically created a line from scratch and hired some of the best talent in the industry at above-market rates to launch the books. Very reminiscent to me not of Valiant, but of Ultraverse, which similarly took a top-talent approach.

The difference is that Atlas went beyond the superhero genre to include action books, sword & sorcery, romance, horror, etc.

A cool little time capsule from the 70s, and well worth adding a few to your collection, given that there are only 28 issues total, and by such talent as Neal Adams, Steve Ditko and Wally Wood.

Did Defiant last more than 28 issues? Dark Dominion was something like 10-12, right?

Don't get me wrong, I was actually trying to get a complete set of the Atlas/Seaboard titles from the 70's. I started with the toughest books first because I didn't want to get 90% of a set and then discover the hardest to find comics were unobtainable. I acquired low grade copies of My Secret magazine and Gothic Romances which convinced me to go forward with the quest. After that I picked up a Vicki #3 & #4. At some point Jason Goodman announced the revival and prices started to jump. Jason sent me some freebies and I really liked J.M. Dematteis' writing on the preview books. Then J.M. left the company. My instincts told me they wouldn't last long without him. I was right. I saved my money instead of buying the new books. The price spikes on the older stuff discouraged me from buying the older stuff. My Atlas collection is officially in limbo.

If you go by individual collectibles, Defiant had about 60 unique publications. If you only count the reading set of regular comics, it's closer to 50 different comics. Plasm lasted 13 issues. Dark Dominion lasted 10. I always felt like Defiant was leftover ideas that might have been included in Valiant at some point. I felt like Plasm might have been what Jim envisioned the Spider Alien homeworld to be like.
define999
hobbyist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Atlas Seaboard CGC data Reply with quote

SundryCollect wrote:
So I took the suggestion and went off and looked at Atlas Seaboard books. Not a whole lot to talk about...but still interesting to stare at the data! check it out at http://www.sundrycollectibles.net/comics/.

Thanks so much for this! Thumbs Up

As expected books with values this low dont really get graded much but its interesting to see the data nonetheless.... I have to agree with Ibis though that the relaunch was botched and therefore doomed value-wise many of these books.... Rolling Eyes

But, since I have started caring more about stories then value these days considering my editorial post at FCC I have to really appreciate what Atlas stood for! Think

Everyone here knows the story well enough so my comment will be on the symbolic side...... but for me the books are novel artifacts of an impetus to exist outside the defined parameters of the industry. More freedom, ownership of creations, etc etc... I just love the story and for the few lurkers that probably haven't visited the Atlas site please do.... its pretty cool!

http://www.atlasarchives.com/index.html

I do wonder how many high grade copies exist out there? Think Even with the quarter/dollar bin history I bet some nice examples had to have escaped from the newsstand into deep dark collections in the 70's.... I would hope at least... Hope

Thanks Sundrycollect! Thumbs Up

View my massive comic related links page here...
http://comicbookcollection.webs.com/apps/links/
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: