Forum Index
Home | Facebook | Twitter | Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stuff I just got

View previous topic :: View next topic  
crashdogy
noob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:49 am    Post subject: Stuff I just got Reply with quote

Hi! Just want to show what I picked up for under $300.00 and see if you guys think Iím on the right track. Some I would like to flip some i would like to hold. Think

SIEGE #1D Joe Quesada Sketch Captain America Variant Cover
MINI-SERIES

IRON MAN #2 1968

INCREDIBLE HULK, THE #103 1968
VOLUME 2

INCREDIBLE HULK, THE #104 1968
VOLUME 2

MS. MARVEL #1C have 2
VOLUME 2

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #1 9.8cgc
Wizard World Philly 2008 Sketch Advance Ticket Exclusive

MS. MARVEL #25A 9.8 cgc
VOLUME 2

MS. MARVEL #1B 9.6 cgc
VOLUME 2

SUPERMAN/BATMAN #1D

SUPERMAN/BATMAN #1A

SUPERMAN/BATMAN #8

SUPERMAN/BATMAN #8A

SUPERMAN/BATMAN #8B

SUPERMAN/BATMAN #10

SUPERMAN/BATMAN #13A
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums crashdogy.

I like your splattering of books. I think that you have some interesting comics and a couple I even feel that over time you will turn a profit. But I would be doing you a disservice if I didn't ask you the tougher questions. For instance, what the hell is the focus of your collection? What are you after? As far as I can tell your after books that cost less than $300 and you believe might turn a profit. Confused I want you to read "Why your collection blows" then tell me what brought you into comics, where do you see your collection in 5years, where you see your collection in 10years and what you want out of it (profit, fame, fortune, impressing other comic nerds, ect).

Thumbs Up
crashdogy
noob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Thanks for Quick Reply Reply with quote

whetteon wrote:
Welcome to the forums crashdogy.

I like your splattering of books. I think that you have some interesting comics and a couple I even feel that over time you will turn a profit. But I would be doing you a disservice if I didn't ask you the tougher questions. For instance, what the hell is the focus of your collection? What are you after? As far as I can tell your after books that cost less than $300 and you believe might turn a profit. Confused I want you to read "Why your collection blows" then tell me what brought you into comics, where do you see your collection in 5years, where you see your collection in 10years and what you want out of it (profit, fame, fortune, impressing other comic nerds, ect).

Thumbs Up

Umm, I like comics I have more then I posted probley like 200 total, I started when I was in college in 1994. One problem I have is I come in and out of collecting. The books listed are the first books I bought since 2000. This makes it hard for me to keep up. I collect what I like but sometimes if a book is dirt cheap Iíll grab it. I also have some old punisher war zones, x-force, 21, ultimate x-man, green goblin, batman/spawn both versions never really care about selling them. We always hope they would be worth something someday that I can pass down to my sons. Now let me tell you why I got some of the books on my list. The Ms. Marvel comics I just got because before my dad died he got me (DF) Ms. Marvel #1 signed by Frank Cho so I figure they were dirt cheap I would then have the other to go with the one my dad got me. Just put them on the wall. The superman/ batman got 12 of them dirt cheap paid 21.00 for all of them. Now the siege #1E itís a 9.8 and was hoping to flip to pay for itself and the other stuff I got. The hulks I like and always will and itís the same for Iron man plus it was my dadís favorite. Now that I am kind of back into it I would like to get some key stuff like hulk 181, some of the hulk 1-6, green lantern 1 and some that I might be able to sell or flip so my hobby kind of pays its own way. As far as 5 or 10 years with the way the economy is I donít know.
crashdogy
noob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Grade Reply with quote

Grade how impotent is this from investors stand point. If I stayed around silver and copper 6.0-7.0 or lower on the real expensive stuff what would be the pros and cons. Confused
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey crashdogy,

I think we need to figure out what makes you excited when it comes to collecting. From what I've read it seems to me that you like cheap books from the modern era. That's probably the risky market to be in when it comes to comics because the crowd is completely fickeled. Sometimes a new title with a lot of nose really takes off like Walking Dead or Morning Glories and sometimes a title with a lot of nose just completely tanks and we never hear about it again like Proof. More often than not you can dump $4 into a book and never see a dime out of that again when it comes to new releases.

You might poke around in the other collections here in the thread and make a mental note of what people's focuses are to get an idea. For example, mine is Keys. I collect only Major Keys from all ages of comics. Rai-Fan's collecting focuses have been older books from the Golden Age. You talked about Silver Age books, would you be excited to get a series like Strange Tales? Maybe only Strange Tales in high grades. Or maybe narrow it down to Strange Tales done by Steranko. Or perahps you just want CGC graded silver age books CGC graded under 2.0 on the cheap. Think

Until you tell me otherwise I'm assuming your collecting goals are cheap books from the 1990's to present that have sentimental value. I want to focus you even more! Maybe 1990 to present done by Image or 1990 to present done by Todd McFarlane.

The books you mentioned like the Hulk 181 and Green Lantern 1 takes a little bit of time to acquire for someone just coming back into the market unless you're willing to drop tons of cash. My suggestion is to save some money and buy the cheapest graded copy you can find. Continue to save your money and buy the next highest grade up. Than you can sell your lower grade recouping some of your cost. Do this indefinitely until you get the grade of the book you desire. Smile
crashdogy
noob

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I know the new stuff is not the best for collecting. I think I want to start in silver age and copper. Have read a lot in the forum and I think keys I could get into. I didnít see a key list for sliver age anywhere. Did you see that I got hulk 103, 104 looking for 102 at good price. Iron man 2 all most just got iron man 1, 5.5 but just did want to pay too much for it. As far as CGC that does not mean too much to me but from what I understand they hold their value better. Not sure if it was a bad price but I could have got green lantern 1 for 400 it was only 3.0 so thatís why I was asking how big of a deal the grading is. If I had got it would I get a good return on it in a year or so in your opinion?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Your Comic List All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: