Forum Index
Home | Facebook | Twitter | Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How hoarding comics can kill your investments

View previous topic :: View next topic  
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: How hoarding comics can kill your investments Reply with quote

So it happened to me. I have amassed so many comics in my 30 some years of collecting that when a new hot comic spikes in the market I am unable to find the darn thing and post it on eBay without doing some real work. Why should I be concerned?

Well for one thing it cost me money every-time I'm unable to take advantage of a market trend. When I KNOW I have a hot comic but I can't find it in a reasonable time I usually just give up and be content that my collection in appreciation in value. The reality is that hot comics don't always stay hot for long. And to be able to sell at the top of the market requires you to be able to find your comic immediately.

Stock sitting in my office cost me money. A collection takes resources to maintain. Like the cost of housing your collection rather it's in your home or a storage shed. And to keep your comics from degrading in both quality and price you need a place that's cool and dry. These places always require financing so keep in mind that your hoard isn't just making you money but it's also costing you money too.

Hoards of anything have a way to make the rest of your space become disorganized. When I can't find something or it become to overwhelming I stop caring and pile things up on top. This causes the hoard to grow and take over my other office spaces. This can influence other place in my life too like laundry and spare rooms.

So keeping your collection well organized, maintained and documented can help you keep storage cost down, keep your space organized and help you turn a profit year after year.

Stay knowledgeable my friends. Thumbs Up
Brother J
market noob

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got hoards of books, but don't have this problem at all. You have to keep your books organized, it's as simple as that to me. Just don't let a bunch of books accumulate without putting them into their proper order. I just bought an entire long box of books at a nice price. Went through them as soon as I had a free day, checked them for any hidden defects and put them in their proper places in my boxes in my "comic book room"
Ibis
Man of Comic Investing Awesomeness

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a guy that owned hundreds of Valiant Gold books. He did not know how to maximize his return. If he listed them once a month, eventually it would devalue the book. If held out for top dollar, he was stuck sitting on them and his money invested was tied up. I don't think owning 5 or 10 of a hort book is bad at all. Owning dozens or hundreds is a different problem. Obviously, it matters greatly on how much you paid. Buying 100 comics for a dollar a piece and selling them in bulk for $2 a piece is the same profit as buying one $100 book and selling it for $200.

1) Buy anything cheap enough, and you can make good profit.
2) The speed of how fast you can flip something maximizes profit.

Money tied up in comics you aren't flipping is money that could be spent on "better" stuff that you can flip quickly.
I don't follow this guideline because I still consider myself more of a collector than a speculator.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should all be collectors first...

Anyways, Brother J, you have good points. If I had FREE days I could probably get some organization going but I have so few free days now that I'm married with two kids. I HAVE to organize immediately when the comic comes into my collection and even that gets messed up when I change focus or move houses (like I just did this summer).

My solution is to sell most of the comics I don't consider essential in my collection and then use the profits to buy those that I do. No duplicates and no hoards

Thumbs Up
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my epic fails was hoarding the NOW Comics Green Hornet series.

Once Kevin Smith started saying he wanted to make a movie of it -- I started buying left right and center -- starting in about 2003.

Ended up with about a short box full of the two series. Including something like 18 first prints of Vol. 1 # 1 (with the amazing Steranko cover).

It never took off, before or after the Seth Rogen movie actually happened.

Ended up getting rid of them as part of the bulk comic purge of 2014...

Last edited by Rai-fan on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:33 am; edited 1 time in total
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frustrated
Ibis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rai-fan wrote:
One of my epic fails was hoarding the NOW Comics Green Hornet series.

Once Kevin Smith started saying he wanted to make a movie of it -- I started buying left right and center -- starting in about 2003.

Ended up with about a short box full of the two series. Including something like 18 first prints of Vol. 1 # 1 (with the amazing Steranko cover).

It never took off, before or after the Seth Rogen movie actually happened.

Ended up getting rid of them as part of the bulk comic purge of 2014...

I never owned any of the NOW Green Hornet series until a mismanaged store had a long box sale. I picked up a complete set of Series 1 & 2 minus specials or annuals for about 3 cents a book along with some other stuff like DC's Shazam series.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall buying the copies of Green Hornet from NOW off the grocery store comic rack back in 89(?). It didn't excite me so I didn't buy any other copies the following months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Topic Hall of Fame All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: