Forum Index
Home | Facebook | Twitter | Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The value of a comic list in the digital age.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: The value of a comic list in the digital age. Reply with quote

A comic list? In this day and age? Most online comic websites direct you to what’s hot and trending so why have something so dated in your comic investing toolbox?

A comic list written down and maintained can help you stay focused on your collecting goals, it allows you to see similarities in your taste now and overtime, plus when comparing it to your neighbors comic list, you can quickly see new and developing trends.

Let’s get right down to it. A comic list keeps you focused on your collecting goals. Especially in this age of over hype and constantly shifting desires of hot and heating up comics books, knowing what you should be searching for in comic boxes without a list can be comparable to nailing an egg on a wall. A paper list allows you to focus on other aspects of investing and not just maintaining a detailed list of potentially desired comics in your head. It helps you keep down impulse buys and thus over time allows you to save up and buy those bigger purchases. Without a list It’s distracting and down right unmaintainable.

But when you maintain a comic list you have an added bonus – you get to see similarities in your taste. This can spark new ideas or even remind you of that one issue you keep forgetting. And over time it lets you get a feeling of accomplishment. Yes, a comic list with checks by comic books can make you see that you have made progress and encourages you to continue to move forward. A feeling of accomplishment encourages you to share your opinions with fellow friends

So a comic list well maintained can allow you to compare your list with your friends list. This is a good thing! Why? Because it ignites conversations and debate. And these debates help us both understand our hobby, enjoy our collection and informs us about our investments.

This is why a paper or printable comic list is need more now than ever before.

Stay knowledgeable my friends!
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bad about not making a list. This is why I never got close to finishing a Valiant Nintendo comic set. I have a pretty good memory of what I have and don't have, but when it gets down to the final issues of completing a long running series, I've passed on so many low grade copies that I start confusing the ones I passed on buying with the ones I don't own.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up
sd2416
Maintenance

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use comicspriceguide.com to be able to pull up any title i own and see what issues i have on my iphone or ipad. I need to go though and update my list. Purged things, got rid of lower copies, so i need to go though about 50-60 boxes and make sure its up to date. Just got to have time to do it. Sad

I hate buying something, filing it away and seeing I have 3 copies already. I see so many things that its getting harder to differentiate what I saw as mine, what I saw at a show, what I saw that someone wanted to sell me.

SD2416 Kudos Thread

Comic Hub's eBay Store
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sd2416 wrote:
I use comicspriceguide.com to be able to pull up any title i own and see what issues i have on my iphone or ipad. I need to go though and update my list. Purged things, got rid of lower copies, so i need to go though about 50-60 boxes and make sure its up to date. Just got to have time to do it. Sad

I hate buying something, filing it away and seeing I have 3 copies already. I see so many things that its getting harder to differentiate what I saw as mine, what I saw at a show, what I saw that someone wanted to sell me.

I use to update my inventory the moment I received or sold a comic but since I've been married it has become increasingly difficult if not down right impossible to do that. Which is why I need to downsize the collection. LOL.
sd2416
Maintenance

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whetteon wrote:
sd2416 wrote:

I use to update my inventory the moment I received or sold a comic but since I've been married it has become increasingly difficult if not down right impossible to do that. Which is why I need to downsize the collection. LOL.

Same here. Life keeps me busy. Im going to try an do two boxes a night 4/5 nights a week and see how it goes. If I get it updated, then I can stay on top updating it as I go.

SD2416 Kudos Thread

Comic Hub's eBay Store
camera73
market noob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points!
My wish list is thousands of issues long and without it - I would never make as many awesome finds as I do. I put it on Google Keep, which allows me to access and edit it quickly on my phone or computer.

I also maintain a wish list on Comic Collector Live. I usually list comics there, that have covers which make them difficult or confusing to pick out of a dollar box (variants, 2nd prints, error covers, etc.).
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Topic Hall of Fame All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: