Forum Index
Home | Facebook | Twitter | Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Death of Captain America

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quill and Tankard
market noob

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Death of Captain America Reply with quote

From my interweb perusings it seems likely that the Captain America: Civil War movie will likely culminate with the death of Steve Rogers similar to the comics.

I think Captain America 25 (2007) could see some price appreciation as we get closer.

I see some interesting ending prices in a few of these auctions:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Comics-/63/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=captain+america+25+death&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

Is this a book to stealthily accumulate? Confused

Last edited by Quill and Tankard on Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Death of Captain Amaerica Reply with quote

Quill and Tankard wrote:
From my interweb perusings it seems likely that the Captain America: Civil War movie will likely culminate with the death of Steve Rogers similar to the comics.

I think Captain America 25 (2007) could see some price appreciation as we get closer.

I see some interesting ending prices in a few of these auctions:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Comics-/63/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=captain+america+25+death&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

Is this a book to stealthily accumulate? Confused

Oooo, good point! It's time to stock up on a few of those. I think a few might perform well.

Thanks for the idea! Thumbs Up
Jackob123
noob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one story, which was originally presented as a five issue miniseries and collected in this softcover, I’ve wondered whether it was necessary to exist. It did serve to drive sales, identifying itself with an event that was covered by mainstream media. Pinoy Channel replay, It had Jeph Loeb, who was not one to shy away from an opportunity to have his name appear on a best-selling comic book, providing the scrip. He is abetted by five of marvel’s biggest artists, John Romita, Jr., Leinil Yu, Ed McGuiness, David Finch and John Cassaday, creators whose names on the cover is almost a guarantee to sell a ton of books.
The story has the Marvel superhero community dealing with the death of one of its biggest icons. In five issues, they go through anger, grief, bargaining and acceptance. It was at best, an interesting idea that could have been done in one oversized issue. But I guess an icon like Captain America deserved a miniseries to chronicle his funeral or that Marvel mine the media mileage from his death in order to sell more comic books.
This is one good-looking book with fantastic art that ultimately wasn’t necessary. Cap eventually came a few years later. It wasn’t good business to have one of your most recognizable characters taking the dirt nap in his own book when a big budget movie featuring the character is playing in theaters. This would rated a two from me easy but the art pushed it to three.
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tired of stories that just use shock value for the sake of shock. It's been done too many times.
Rai-fan
Man of Comic Investing Awesomeness

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when this issue came out and believe we chronicled it here on this board.

a) It was actually really well done.
b) It was a case study in comic book speculation insanity in the age of the internet.

Most of us had been there before, when Superman 75 went from $2.50 to $50+ in a matter of days.

While, here -- amplified by the internet -- this issue went from (I think $2.95) to $60 in a matter of hours, before settling down to $8-10 within 5 days.

The velocity of its rise and fall was so fast that bulk sellers on eBay who set full 7-day auctions got screwed, while those who set 24-hour or 3-day auctions got as much as $60 per for sets of 50 (an astounding $3,000).

I bought my two copies a week later at cover price from the LCS here in DC - they received a normal amount of reorders a week later and had the decency to continue to sell them at cover price.

But Superman 75 didn't rise as quickly as Cap 25 did. Neither did it crash as fast.
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The number of comic buyers for Superman #75 was probably at an industry high. The simple fact is that not as many people are buying comics these days so maintaining the demand is difficult these days. People who didn't buy comics bought into the hype of Superman's death. It extended to the general public who is not normally intererted in comics. my dad and my niece wanted sets of the Superman death storyline and they had not been buying comics prior or afterwards. It's really difficult to compare any modern comics to Superman #75.
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that -- and yeah.

Superman 75 is supposedly the most widely distributed comic ever, at 4 million copies.

While other books had higher print runs, that issue went to the greatest number of people rather than just collectors who bought 3-10 copies each.

But Captain America 25 was the biggest event to hit comics since Superman 75 14 years earlier -- it wasn't advertised beforehand so nobody knew it was coming -- _really_ hard to do in the internet age.

Hence the reason it had a ~300,000 print run (with two covers) vs. Superman 75's ~4,000,000 print run.

Not giving people a true heads-up (beyond -- "you'll want to order this") was brilliant marketing by Marvel -- with mainstream broadcast news outlets reporting on it everywhere.

Most importantly, it demonstrates the internet's effect on the comics market vs. what we had in 1992-93.

Specifcially, that if eBay, etc. had existed in 1993, Superman 75 would never have risen beyond $25. Or -- like Captain America -- had it done so, it would have stayed there for a matter of days, not months.

Plus, I like that the comic was well done -- from both a writing an art perspective. Ed Brubaker was the perfect choice of artist.
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay could have prevented a boom from ever existing in the 90's. I must also confess that I ignored the cap issue when it came out. I've never seen inside of it nor could I have told you what it looks like on the cover. I am REALLY tired of character deaths being a sale pitch.
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say, I thought Civil War was really well done overall.

It was essentially Secret Wars for a new generation (25 years later).

While Infinity Gauntlet *might* have been a better overall storyline, Civil War worked really well as an allegory for the Patriot Act.

Heroes lined up behind either Cap or Iron Man, Peter Parker crashed the internet when he revealed he was Spider-Man, Punisher came to blows with Cap, and Hulk was (necessarily) off-world during the whole thing because he would have dominated. So he got his separate Planet Hulk storyline.

As for casualties -- the whole thing started with the death of the New Warriors, and (basically) ended with the death of Steve Rogers.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. It was a fun story line.

I'll take this time to say I'm one of the few readers who have really enjoyed the differences in the Marvel Universe since 2008ish. I know the status quo is what we all expect but the story lines coming out this past decade have been fun and interesting for me. And no where is that more evident for me than all what has transpired for Peter Parker. From aging news paper photographer to high school teacher to think tank man to CEO of his own company. Great stuff!
hasan459
noob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree, captain america time is over
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> TV Shows & Movie Speculation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: