Forum Index
Home | Facebook | Twitter | Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stan Lee signatures. Higher or Lower RIP?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madcircle
market noob

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Stan Lee signatures. Higher or Lower RIP? Reply with quote

In no ways is this a watch for the demise of The Man. But I have seen in other groups that most believe that Stan Lee signed comics will decrease in value if/when he passes.

In other collector realms, the cross into the otherworld means significant uptick in value.

What are your thoughts or opinions? While Stan has signed bajillion comics so far, once he's gone, he's gone, and wouldn't those issues be sought after?

Curious.
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally, a person's signature would increase in value after they die. Speculators are currently paying extreme prices to get his signature in hopes the value will increase. I feel that speculators are sustaining the current high prices that Stan can charge. I do believe the value will drop after he passes away.

Signature collectors know that the more common a signature is, the less it will be valuable in the future. George Washington's signature is not as valuable as Button Gwinnett's signature. Both signed the Declaration of Independence, but George Washington signed more things than Button Gwinnett. The more a person signs things, the greater the supply. If supply outweighs demand, price drops.

I think Stan's signature is a horrible investment. Who is popular that historically does not sign much (other than their artwork)?

Barry Windsor-Smith
Steve Ditko

Those would be signatures to obtain, but good luck. Their signatures should end up being more valuable that Stan Lee's signature.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Ibis, there is a lot of speculation on Stan Lee. I have seen various comics with his photo skyrocket in anticipation (is that the right word?) of his death. People are hoping to cash in in what will be the end of an era in the comic world. And they will push prices up for 6 months or so after his tragic death. One that will surely be covered by the media.

That said, Lyria has proven that Stan Lee's signature is one of the most valuable signatures on a Marvel comic (Ditko's maybe more but this is based on recorded data). This fact was established 10 years ago when speculation wasn't so rampant.

I feel that his death will increase comics with his signature for about 6 months than it will decrease as many fans, collectors and speculators move on. Thus it will fall in value and eventually hit a sweet spot.

By no means will a Stan Lee signature ever be worthless. It just won't happen. I don't care how many comics he's signed, as long as there are fans and collectors, his signature will have value.
Madcircle
market noob

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so as of today, just 2 days after his passing, his signed books are skyrocketing, CGC or not. I'm sure this is a speculation phase, but I'm in on books signed that I don't care much for.
Rai-fan
Man of Comic Investing Awesomeness

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish his signatures weren't so prolific on books he didn't actually write.

My example:

McFarlane Hulks.

Y'all know I recently completed this run in 9.8 - and now I'm trying to complete all 16 issues in 9.8 McFarlane sig. series (currently impossible, as there's no 9.8 # 343).

In this run, 9.8 books with McFarlane _and_ Stan Lee sigs outnumber books with just the McFarlane sig by about 2:1, if not 3:1.

Among the four 9.8 sigs I've managed to snag so far, 3 of them also have Stan Lee sigs.

I'd much rather get the run with McFarlane sigs only, but they just aren't out there.

I get that he created the Hulk - but come on, man. It doesn't irk me as much as the Hulk 340s with a Romita sig. on it (I was like - WTH? And then realized he created Wolverine, even if it was Trimpe who drew the first issue)

Similar to a Jim Lee sig on X-men # 266 -- Jim Lee created the look of Gambit, even though he didn't draw either of his first two appearances.

So yeah - me personally?

I'd pay slightly more for a 9.8 McFarlane-signed Hulk _without_ Stan's signature than with.
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather have a signed photo of Stan instead of a signed comic. Even then, it would have to be a photo I got because I met him (and I didn't).
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay out of the signature series at the moment. Prices are silly across the board. However, I will say a bonifide Stan Lee signature will earn a comic book more $.

The man was a legend of this industry. He was to comics what Hue Hefner was to Playboy. So his signatures will always be in demand. But we are in luck because Stan signed so much that we they aren't scarce.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: