Forum Index
Home | Facebook | Twitter | Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magnus 0 project

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rai-fan
Man of Comic Investing Awesomeness

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Magnus 0 project Reply with quote

Hey folks,

I don't have a lot of discretionary money this year, so I'm buying far far less than in years past.

But one of my projects is to hoard Magnus 0 -- aiming to eventually buy 50 copies.

I'm now half-way to that goal, with somewhere between 26-30 copies!

Bought 2 copies via eBay last week and an additional 2 via DC's Awesome Con convention yesterday. Avg. price $18 per (shipped, etc.).

This is for the 14 year-old in me who saw it for sale for $85.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up

Love your goals Rai! You are an inspiration for those collecting with a much smaller income!
ravelkan2
noob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the Magnus Robot Fighter from I-Books HTF ?
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but no one cares.

So it's readily available via eBay and other sources for $5-$10 (vs. its $6.95 cover price).

My guess is it probably had about 4,500 printed.

(Orders were 1,100 copies its first mont of release and 1,300 copies its second month of release -- so confirmed 2,500 or so printed, but Diamond only tracks the first 100 Graphic Novels in a given month, so I think it probably sold another 400-500+ copies over the next 4-5 months as well).

I don't own one.

I should get one, given that it's drawn by Walt Simonson (of Thor, X-Factor fame).

Incidentally, Simonson's first published work -- send-in fan art -- was in Magnus Robot Fighter # 10, from 1964.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I own a copy Rai. But I'd have to find it and not to get all Ibis here but my motivation for doing so in the next few months is low. Laughing
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah! Tell me about it. Zero comics motivation right now.

1) I _still_ haven't sent the two Magnus books CGC mislabeled (literally, got the books themselves wrong) back.

2) Nor have I loaded pictures and descriptions of 1/2 my Magnus books to the registry -- and the deadline for the 2015 Awards consideration is today.

I think my Magnus set will win a "Best Silver Age" set aware eventually, but probably not this year...
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As expected, I didn't win a Best Silver Age registry award this year.

They give out 3 "Best" awards per age, and usually it goes to two major sets (ASM, Avengers, Hulk, etc.) and one "wildcard" (a Gold Key title, etc.).

This year the wildcard was for Showcase 1-64, complete with photos & descriptions but for issue # 22.

I can't argue with the result because all three of those sets dwarf mine in both value and difficulty.

But it means I really have to work on upgrades this year. They've already given awards to Doctor Solar & Turok, and Star Trek got a "Best Presented" -- so I think they'll recognize Magnus eventually.

Meanwhile, here's an old picture of my small Magnus 0 hoard -- I've added ~6 more copies since this photo:

lw99dds
noob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause

Awesome man. Thumbs Up
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a long hiatus with this Magnus 0 project (to try to build up a hoard), I've slowly started buying it again.

I think my outside goal is to eventually get 100 copies. I think I have close to 30 right now.

Why? Just because it was a grail when I was 15 - a $100 book that was literally in the showcase at Showcase Comics, alongside some Silver Age keys.

Also - with my McFarlane Hulk run now finished, I was looking through some other VH1 slabs last night wondering if I should start on say...Rai #0 - 31, or another run.

My conclusion?

Harbinger # 1's still too expensive, as are slabbed copies of Solar # 10, Rai # 0 and Eternal Warrior # 4 (Bloodshot movie hype).

So I'm back where I started three+ years ago -- with Magnus # 0 as the book of choice.

Two weeks ago I bought another CGC 9.6.

And this morning?

A CGC 9.4 copy -- for just under $35 shipped.

Somewhere, my 15 year-old self is smiling.
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rai-fan wrote:
After a long hiatus with this Magnus 0 project (to try to build up a hoard), I've slowly started buying it again.

I think my outside goal is to eventually get 100 copies. I think I have close to 30 right now.

Why? Just because it was a grail when I was 15 - a $100 book that was literally in the showcase at Showcase Comics, alongside some Silver Age keys.

Also - with my McFarlane Hulk run now finished, I was looking through some other VH1 slabs last night wondering if I should start on say...Rai #0 - 31, or another run.

My conclusion?

Harbinger # 1's still too expensive, as are slabbed copies of Solar # 10, Rai # 0 and Eternal Warrior # 4 (Bloodshot movie hype).

So I'm back where I started three+ years ago -- with Magnus # 0 as the book of choice.

Two weeks ago I bought another CGC 9.6.

And this morning?

A CGC 9.4 copy -- for just under $35 shipped.

Somewhere, my 15 year-old self is smiling.

This is an interesting goal. I think I have 3 copies. I actually picked up a copy for something like $3 once.
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also tracking this book that ended yesterday.

X-O # 1, CGC 9.8, sig. series Bob Layton & Jim Shooter.

Probably the best copy of X-0 you could ever get (short of an additional BWS sig, and good luck with that).

It sold for $313.25 shipped Suprised

I could have gone just short of $200 on this, but was surprised to see it go for more than 50% more than that.

I think the pre-Unity slab market (at least - among first issues and first appearances) is strong.

We'll see, given that new issue sales are in the toilet and DMG apparently sold the company recently.

(The top-selling Valiant book for October was X-O vol. 3 # 20 - at 7,800 copies. It barely made top 250 comic sales of the month.)

This tells me that even the Valiant faithful have gotten tired of the constant new re-boots and are banking on the success of the Bloodshot movie...
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rai-fan wrote:
I was also tracking this book that ended yesterday.

X-O # 1, CGC 9.8, sig. series Bob Layton & Jim Shooter.

Probably the best copy of X-0 you could ever get (short of an additional BWS sig, and good luck with that).

It sold for $313.25 shipped Suprised

I could have gone just short of $200 on this, but was surprised to see it go for more than 50% more than that.

I think the pre-Unity slab market (at least - among first issues and first appearances) is strong.

We'll see, given that new issue sales are in the toilet and DMG apparently sold the company recently.

(The top-selling Valiant book for October was X-O vol. 3 # 20 - at 7,800 copies. It barely made top 250 comic sales of the month.)

This tells me that even the Valiant faithful have gotten tired of the constant new re-boots and are banking on the success of the Bloodshot movie...

I think the main deterrent for most fans is that Dinesh was ousted. Now they know how I felt when Shooter was ousted and everything he was building was detoured a different direction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Collection Snapshots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: