Forum Index
Home | Facebook | Twitter | Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opportunity Cost

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rai-fan
Man of Comic Investing Awesomeness

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Opportunity Cost Reply with quote

So, on the theory that many folks would be traveling &/or tired last night, I tested out Heritage's weekly Sunday night auction for the first time since they moved to the live-auction format.

Before, everything ended at once at 11:00 pm Eastern Sundays, but their interface couldn't handle the influx of last-90-second traffic, so I found sniping impossible. I have bid with literally 70 seconds left and not have those bids register in time. So this format is presumably much better.

So now it starts at 7:00 pm Eastern, but begins with Original Art. Which takes more than an hour and a half.

I was looking at stuff ranging from an original art cover or two, to early Sgt. Rock appearances to early CGC Superman (# 15, 18) to high-grade Bronze.

Biggest problem is you actually have to sit there for 4-5 hours for the auction to complete. I think it took roughly 45 minutes per 100 lots, & there were 800. I was going to bed by the time they hit the Gs.

Ended up snagging a CGC 9.4 All Star Western 10 (1st Jonah Hex) for $750 (including their 20% premium), which is an _all-time_ (since 2003) GPA low. Current GPA is $900, & at its peak in 2010 the book was selling for $1,600.

But, it's opportunity cost. The book was a consolation prize since I was the under-bidder on this, a cool Bart Sears Justice League Europe cover that I remember being featured in his Wizard Magazine in "How to Draw" column.

I was the underbidder here at $750 (same price as the Jonah Hex) but it sold for $775.

Which would you have bought?
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Star Western 10 no questions asked. But then again, I'm a key collector and not an art collector.
carey18
hobbyist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Star Western 10, but like Whet, I'm not a comic art collector.
TinaNamdev
noob

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at stuff ranging from an original art cover
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Market Snapshot All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: