Forum Index
Home | Facebook | Twitter | Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Magnus 0 Project Reply

View previous topic :: View next topic  
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Magnus 0 Project Reply Reply with quote

For some reason I cannot reply to the topic. It keeps kicking me out which means there's a database error somewhere and I won't be taking time to track it down and fix it.

But I did want to say that Ibis and Rai-fan, your rantings are, as per usual, amazing reads. I especially like the Werewolf by night #32 comparison.

I have long since grabbed all the pre unity valiants I care to ever want to own. I at one time was going after 9.6 graded copies because many valiant collectors believe these are trash and they sell for something like $40 to $50 a pop. Seriously, I gotten the entire Valiant pre-unity collection all graded 9.6 spending a fraction of the cost the others are spending. It's madness really.

Back to the WBN #32. Since I had to sell my CGC 9.2 copy (finicial reasons), I've been anxious to purchase a newer copy for my long term collection once again. So far it's been a challenge and that annoys me. I am even willing to trade another CGC boards collector a hoard of GA comics for a 9.0 or higher graded copy (he says he'll know the grade in September).

Of all the movie properties yet to materialize, I'd have to say Moon Knight has the best chances to actually see the silver screen.

As for the Bloodshot movie project, I think they've been telling us its nearly completed since 2012? Think

Btw Rai, I have some of the issues you're missing in your valiant collection. I might be willing to send them your way for the price of nothing. HA! Gimme a pm and we can work it out.
Rai-fan
Man of Comic Investing Awesomeness

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great discussion all around.

The Bloodshot movie is officially happening. As in, it's in post-production now and has a Feb. 20 release date.

I'm impressed by the cast: Aside from Vin Diesel, it's got:

Sam Heughan (Outlander)
Eliza Gonzalez (Baby Driver, Hobbs & Shaw)
Toby Kebbell (War for the Planet of the Apes, Fantastic Four)
Guy Pearce (LA Confidential, Iron Man 3)

But I can't help but think audiences will see it as totally derivative of other nanite-inspired superhero plots, from Jake 2.0 15 years ago to the movie Upgrade last year.

So we're basically looking at Vin Diesel redoing his own movie A Man Apart but with cyborg powers.
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect Bloodshot to perform on par with the movie District 9.

WBN#32 is an excellent cover, but the content itself inside is sub-par. I've owned my copy since the late 80's and I'd never seek to replace it if I sold it.

I picked up #32, #33, and #37 as soon as I knew they were relevant to Moon Knight, but the hidden gems in his past are the the back-up features in Hulk Magazine. I think Moon Knight would be well received on either TV or on the big screen, but his past is somewhat convoluted and it'd be confusing for collectors who bought the comics at the various stages of his existence.
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloodshot trailer is set to be released tomorrow (!)

Crazy to me that 9.8 Eternal Warrior # 4 and Rai 0s go for more money than 9.8 Magnus 0s...

The distinction between pre-Unity & post-Unity no longer matters, just movie hype.

Shadowman 8 came out a month after EW 4 and yet is available for a relative pittance. Why? No movie hype.
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information about the trailer being released. I looked it up online and I was cringing. The lighting is horrible. I don't think it's possible for the movie to be as bad as the disjointed trailer, so I'm going to assume the movie will be okay.

I should probably be pulling out my Bloodshot copies to sell. I'm essentially tired of the direction comics are going. That includes the back issue market. I have pondered greatly about going on a long collecting hiatus. My longest hiatus was 7 years. I'm fully aware that now is the best time to sell everything that's riding a market bubble, but I don't feel like expending the effort.
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you.

I think there is very little actual collector market anymore. Just speculators who flip the latest movie hype books to each other. Literally.

I'm annoyed that I may have missed the window to buy some early CGC Gaiman Sandman issues (in between the failed movie announcement and the new Netflix series announcement) but a few years from now prices will cool down again.

A good time to pick up

- New Teen Titans 2 (down 25% from 18 months ago)
- Early Daredevil
- Pretty much any X-Men
- Pretty much any Superman

I'm on a limited budget these days but am in year 3 of slowly collecting the following:

- CGC 9.8 McFarlane-signed Hulks (5 out of 16 so far)
- CGC 9.6 Conan 1-24 (7 of 24 so far)
- Raw Valiant Magnus # 0s (capped at ~$20-22 shipped)
- rare upgrades to my ~CGC 9.2 Doctor Solar set or ~CGC 9.6 Magnus set (these appear every 9 months or so, and I *still* have a problem pulling the trigger on Doctor Solars at current prices).

I honestly think the TV/Movie comic book craze has peaked and we're already on the downswing -- although it will take another two years for its lost favor to really become visible.

Examples:

- Total cancellation of Daredevil (the sole Netflix show that was *really really* good
- Cancellation of Cloak and Dagger
- proliferation of dozens of announcements of 3rd-tier character shows (Strange Adventures, Superman and Lois, etc.).
- End of The Walking Dead tv show.

Honestly, I think Avengers: Infinity War was the peak -- and we're about to see maybe 30 new films or TV shows that weill roll out over the next 18 months that are already DOA, but were originally greenlit at the height of Infinity War's success.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen a movie in the theater since John Wick #3.

Marvel didn't do too good of a job with Captain Marvel & Avengers:Endgame. I'm sick of Hawkeye and Black Widow in their movies. They are not the equivalent of Hulk or Thor... so yeah... I'm tired of superhero movies. I missed the Dark Phoenix movie and yet I don't miss it.

I have no interest in watching gay superheroes, so the CW shows are falling outside my scope of interest. I don't care if they make gay heroes, but I'm straight and I don't relate to that as a lifestyle choice. I'm not a fan of sports, so I don't go see sports themed movies. I'm not a fan of zombies, so I don't watch he Walking Dead.

I am still on track to quit buying comics and quit going to shows. Some of the free web hosts deleted my web pages without notice. I'm tired of seeking out alternate free hosting.

I don't feel bead using a free web host since it is the content that makes a host relevant. If the sites don't want to be relevant, I'll quit uploading .

I've thought about pulling all my VH1 & VH2 Bloodshot comics and taking them to a local comics shop to see if they want it all. I have no sentimental or emotional connection to the character. I bought the early stuff at 40% off cover and the later stuff for about a dime a book. It'd be hard for me to not make a profit if they were interested. I'd be happy purging it all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Collection Snapshots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: