Forum Index
Home | Facebook | Twitter | Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ibis' Collection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cover said it was limited. It was cheap, so I bought it.

Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Dark Horse was publishing the Gold Key characters in 2010, Jim Shooter wrote a mock news story about these characters. It was believed that if they expanded the line to include new titles, that these characters would be used. I've been curious about it, so I grabbed a copy.

Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More like 4 page flyers, I bought these to go with the Annuals I own.

Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A book, not a comic...

Hitman for the Dead (Beta Version)

Back cover

Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Axquired today
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought this to read.
#1 was insulting and funny. This was too.
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was brought to my attention that someone wants to buy this color art that I own. It would be a $900+ profit, but I don't want to sell it.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumbs Up
Rai-fan
Man of Comic Investing Awesomeness

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went Ultraverse-mad a month ago and started buying the silver holograms.

Now have a full set of the seven silvers, plus five extras -- 12 in all. Average price was $13 each shipped.

The golds are another story, however, as they're rumored to be 25x as rare as the silvers. We'll see...
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have retired from collecting as of November 2019. I'll slowly be boxing up everything in my room and moving it to an area of the house where it is all out of sight and out of mind.

More than a few things led me to this decision.

1) Free web hosts are crappy. Several of my checklists were deleted by the web host for no apparent reason. I'm tired of the seeking out new hosting. It's become an endless cycle of hosts offering a free service in hopes of getting a paying customer. After months of poor and unreliable service, they just delete the sites with no explanation. I've got some old Angelfire pages that have been around since I created them 15 years ago. Angelfire has 15 year old limits on how much data can be stored, so it's not suitable for any full galleries with nice images. The rest are pretty much fly-by-night companies that have unrealistic expectations that they'll be able to monetize a service that was offered for free.

2) Free image hosting has become crappy. Photobucket fell into the hands of a marketing company that thought cramming hundreds of ads in your face would generate income. When that didn't work they held their users images hostage and inaited that people pay for a service that was previously free. Their sister company tinypic still allowed free hosting, but they shut that down entirely. I have some accounts with other free image hosting services, but all are flaky and cumbersome to use. I'm tired of looking for image hosting sites that embrace user contributed content.

3) I'm tired of reading things that stupid collectors write online. Comics are a hobby for me. It's a wind down from a stressful and hectic day at work. I work in the technology industry and we have billions of dollars in orders on the books. Lives are affected by our products. I have to point out errors to engineers that have patents in their name. Online, I deal with people who have none of my experiences. They accuse me of lying when I try to communicate my experiences or perspective. They think at a much lower (and sheltered) level than I feel like enduring. They falsely represent my character, motives, or statements in general. It's not something I need in my life.

4) The dynamics of the hobby has changed to the point that I'm tired of it. One Silver/Golden age dealer at the last show I attended said that the availability of things I'm looking for have simply dried up. He can't get them anymore. Dealers aren't bringing comics that I want to buy to the shows. Comic shops don't have the comics I want to buy in them. The movie hype has driven the prices up to levels I don't want to pay even if the stuff was available. The value of my own collection has been going straight up. My first Hulk #181 cost me 25ยข. I can't imagine any situation where I'd want to pay even $200 for a perfect copy. I don't value it that much and I don't want to charge anyone that much in order to flip it. My Amazing Fantasy #15 set me back about the cash equivalent of $300. People are offering me $12,000 for it. If I parted with it, I would never replace it. It has sentimental meaning, but most comics that I really want are valued more than I'd be willing to spend.

5) Modern comics simply don't excite me at all. I walk into comic stores and shake my head in disgust. Only on rare occasions an I willing to even pay full cover price for a comic. Even then, I don't find them entertaining. Some of the art is better, but I don't like the digital processing. It's like plastic to me. It lacks the organic feel it once had.

That being said, I received a couple of early Christmas gifts this year:

Neal Adams Savage 3 Sketch Book #nn

Bucky O'Hare Coloring Book #nn

It's mostly B&W story pages to color. It has a section of activity pages with a word search puzzle, a maze, and some character pages to color.

I mainly wanted those to keep my Continuity imprint comics complete. There's a few I'm missing, but I think I have one of the most complete Continuity collections online. Those are the last items I plan on acquiring for a long time.

Comic research projects... ended.
Comic purchases... ended.
Comic message board posting... mostly ended.
I'm checking in to my own board occasionally and monitoring what sites are referring visitors to my pages.
Comic websites... they'll stay as-is until they're gone.
I contributed some scans and images to Mark Davis for a couple of his Facebook pages, but there is evidently miscommunication in the process, so I'm putting that on hold indefinitely. It's become more trouble than I wanted it to be.

The process of shrinking the space of my collection will probably be ongoing.

Congrats Whet for hosting one of the most tolerable message boards online. I was always ready to bow out if the membership grew and my presence was impeding an even bigger growth. It never seemed to matter if I stepped away or not. There has to be a big enough membership to achieve a critical mass or discussion dies. It takes a lot of marketing and it's tough to do from scratch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Collection Snapshots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100
Page 100 of 100

Jump to: