Forum Index
Home | Facebook | Twitter | Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wizard Comic Magazine #1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Wizard Comic Magazine #1 Reply with quote

Laugh if you must but this magazine represented the modern age of collecting. With "what's hot charts" and sneak peaks it helped many of us understand the business side of collecting. Plus it has nostalgia power! I've been picking up NM copies for under $10. I'm also expecting issues 2 - 5 to do well eventually in the mid future. Hope

Last edited by whetteon on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
shag
noob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, Wizard. It was fun back in the day as I'd wait for the mailman to drop it off. I picked up the first issue for .50 a few years ago and read through it. Fun stuff!
When I see them sealed with the shiny Image card I buy them for the card. #11 was the first issue of this series I bought. I still love the cover. I used to hang all the posters from the mag on my bedroom wall.
Rai-fan
Man of Comic Investing Awesomeness

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a Wizard # 1, but I do have a VF/NM copy of Comic Values Monthly # 1, from 1984.

Good stuff.

Wizard # 17 (with the Valiant expose) was awesome.
vault-keeper
hobbyist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that #17 was done in a Platinum edition also!
HBeale
noob

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Wizard Comic Magazine #1 Reply with quote

whetteon wrote:
Laugh if you must but this magazine represented the modern age of collecting. With "what's hot charts" and sneak peaks it helped many of us understand the business side of collecting. Plus it has nostalgia power! I've been picking up NM copies for under $10. I'm also expecting issues 2 - 5 to do well eventually in the mid future. Hope

I share a similar view to yours. Mycomicshop almost never seems to have the first five issues in stock, since I started checking somewhat frequently circa 2017. Yet the price and volume of sales has been sluggish, issue 1 being the exception. Why has the Rule of 25 had such little effect on early issues of Wizard?
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Publications about comics rarely see a price increase. One reason is that there is no guide tracking sales and prices. One could sell for $100, but since nobody is watching it doesn't get reported.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUT, we have many different sources now telling us repeated sells on website like the CGC boards and CVRPrice. So I believe that information is getting out.
HBeale
noob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ibis wrote:
Publications about comics rarely see a price increase. One reason is that there is no guide tracking sales and prices. One could sell for $100, but since nobody is watching it doesn't get reported.

I do not disagree with any of your post. But, at the same time, prices for the early issues of Wizard seem low in the blazing hot market of the past 13 months. I'm assuming Mycomicshop gets an ample supply of Wizard magazines in the collections it purchases, yet the 1991 issues are frequently out of stock there.
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we are all in agreement, just looking at the situation from different angles. There used to a site that did track comic related magazine prices. I just don't know the web address.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early high graded Wizard issues are on my radar for sure. But I never know what people are asking for them.
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People say "buy what you like". At some point, I discovered that I liked comics much better than magazines about comics.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Movers & Shakers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: