Forum Index
Home | Facebook | Twitter | Community
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Copper Age Keys
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Key Comic Books
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Rai-fan
Man of Comic Investing Awesomeness


Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Last Visit: 10 Apr 2021
Posts: 2406

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. the best Wolverine issues from the first 85 or so were # 34, # 9, # 10, # 25, and # 34, in that order. 41-42 were killer as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ibis
Man of Comic Investing Awesomeness


Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Last Visit: 26 Nov 2021
Posts: 3924

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rai-fan wrote:
Wolverine # 10 is one of my top 5 favorite issues of Vol. 1.

I got lucky at Showcase Comics back in 1990 when I picked it up. I'd just starting collecting Wolverine (with # 18 off the shelf) and only needed # 7-10 to complete the run. They were $3.50 apiece. Logic would have dictated "get the oldest one first, as it's most likely to increase in value." Plus, 7-8 had Hulk guest appearances.

But, with $3.50 in my pocket, I liked the cover to # 10 so much I bought that one first. Literally three weeks later it skyrocketed to $8, than $15, and eventually $20 plus.

Great story too!

It's probably made a resurgence due to both the original art cover and several pages selling publicly at auction within the last 60 days.


I think someone had posted an original art page from that comic and was asking why their page was getting so much attention. I don't know what I have from that series. I wasn't collecting comics when it came out. I do know I have a #1.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whetteon
Landlord


Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Last Visit: 01 Sep 2021
Posts: 7773
Location: Pittsburg, KS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was from the CGC forums:

Quote:

Major keys:

Albedo #2
Amazing Spiderman #300
Bone #1
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1

Keys:

Albedo #0, all firsts
Albedo #1, 1st & 2nd
Alf #48
Amazing Spiderman #252, 293, 294, 298, 299, 312, 316, 361
Batman #366, 368, 400, 404-407, 417-420, 426-429
Batman: The Dark Knight #1-4
Batman: The Killing Joke
Bone #2-8
Caliber Presents #1
Captain America #332, Annual #8
Crisis On Infinite Earths #7, 8
Crow #1-4
Cry for Dawn #1, #3 Horror, #5-8 Limited
Daredevil #227, 254
Detective Comics #575-578
Faust #1 Limited
Flaming Carrot #1
GI Joe #21
Gobbledygook #1, 2
Harbinger #0 Pink
Harbinger #1
I,Lusiphur #1, 3
Incredible Hulk #330, 340
Justice League #3 Variant
Magnus Robot Fighter #0
Miracleman #1 Gold, 1 Blue, 10-23
New Mutants #87, 98
Punisher Limited Series #1-5
Rai #3, 4
Sandman #1, 8 (both)
Secret Wars #8
Solar #10
Spiderman #1 Platinum
Spiderman #1 Gold UPC
Spiderman vs. Wolverine #1
Star Wars #107
Superman #75
Swamp Thing #20, 21, 37
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #2
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #3 variant
Tick Special Edition #1, 2
Tick #1
Transformers #76-80
Uncanny X-Men #201, 205, 210-213, 244, 248, 266, 268, 297 Gold, 303 Gold, 307 Gold
Unity #0 Red
Watchmen #1-12
Wolverine #10
X-Men #11 Silver/Platinum

Semi-Keys:

Albedo #0 Second
Albedo #4
Aliens #1, 2
Alpha Flight #51
Action Comics #583
Amazing Spiderman #249-251, 253, 265, 285, 289, 301-311, 313-325, 328, 330, 331, 344, 345, 362, 363, Annual #21 (both)
Animal Man #1, 5
Batman #436, 442, 457, 488
Batman: Sword of Azrael #1-4
Batman: Vengeance of Bane #1
Bone #9, 10
Captain America #333, 334
Crisis On Infinite Earths #1, 12
Cry For Dawn #2-8, #4 Limited
Daredevil #228-233, 238, 241, 248, 249. 257
Dark Horse Presents #24
Dark Horse 5th Anniversary Special
Death Rattle #8
Detective Comics #535, 569. 570, 572, 574, 598-600
Doom Patrol #19
Ewoks #1-14
Fantastic Four #320, #347-349
Faust #1, 2
Flaming Carrot #2-5
Flash #350, 1
Firestorm #61 Variant
Ghost Rider #1
GI Joe #26, 27, 93-96
Green Lantern #195
Green Lantern Emerald Dawn #1
Grendel #40
Groo Special Edition #1
Harbinger #2-6
Hellblazer #1, 27
Incredible Hulk #324, 331-334, 336-339, 341-346, 350, 367, 377
Infinity, Inc. #14
I, Lusiphur #2, 4-7
Iron Man #225
Justice League #1
Legion of Superheroes #37, 38
Longshot #1-6
Mage #1, 6
Magnus #1, 5, 12
Marvel Team-Up #141
Megaton #3, 8, Explosion
Miracleman #1-9
New Mutants #86, 88, 93-97, 100
New Teen Titans #44
Omega #1 Limited
Predator #1
Primer #5
Punisher #1, 10
Rai #1, 2, 5
Robotech: Macross #1
Sandman #2-7, 21, 22
Silver Surfer #15, 34, 35
Solar #1
Spawn #1
Spectacular Spiderman #90, 131, 132, 158
Star Wars #100-106
Superman #423, 50, 74
Superman: Man of Steel #17, 18
Swamp Thing #22-25, 34, 38-40, Annual #2
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 2nd, #3, 4
Tick #2
Thor #412
Transformers #1, 70-75
V For Vendetta #1-12
Uncanny X-Men #221, 222, 225-227, 234, 256-258, 267, 269, 270-277, 281, 282, 283, Annual #9. 10, 14
Web of Spiderman #1, 18, 29, 31, 32
Wolverine #1
X-O Manowar #1, 4
X-Factor #6, 24


Issues of note:

Action Comics #584, 598, 683, 684
Adventures of Superman #463, 496. 497
Airboy #5
Akira #1
Albedo #3
Aliens #3-6, Vol 2 1-4
Aliens vs. Predator #1
All-Star Squadron #47
Alpha Flight #13, 17, 33, 34, 52, 53, 87-90, 106
Amazing Spiderman #254-261, 274, 275, 276, 281, 284, 327, 329, 346, 347, 359, 360
Animal Man #2-4
Avengers #263, 329
Batman #408-410, 416, 423, 433-435, 437-441, 450, 451, 465, 489-492
Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #1
Bone #1 2nd
Caliber Presents #2, 15
Caliber Christmas Special
Captain America #300, 323, 328, 335-350, 366, 383
Cerebus #147, 161
Crisis On Infinite Earths #2-6, 9-11
Daredevil #219, 236
Dark Horse Presents #1, 10, 34-36, 51-62
Defenders #152
Detective Comics #566, 604-607
Doom Patrol #20-25
Elektra Assassin #1-8
Excalibur Special
Excalibur #1, 57, 58
Fantastic Four #250-292, 296, 321, 325, 358
Flaming Carrot #6-15
GI Joe #60
Ghost Rider #2-6, 15
Green Arrow Long Bow Hunters #1-3
Green Arrow #1
Green Hornet #1
Green Lantern #194, 200, 224
Green Lantern Emerald Dawn #2-6
Grendel #35-39
Groo #29
Hellblazer #2-10, 25, 26, 40-50
Incredible Hulk #300, 314, 327, 348, 368-376, 379, 400
Infinity, Inc #15-37, Annual #1
Iron Man #191, 192, 200, 226-232, 244, 250, 282, 283
Justice League #2-7, 18, 19
Kitty Pryde & Wolverine #1
Legends #6
L.E.G.I.O.N. #4
Mage #2-5, 7-15
Magnus Robot Fighter #2-4, 6-11
Marvel Team-Up #150
New Mutants #85, 89-92, 99, Special Edition #1
New Teen titans #34, 39, 42, 43, Annual #3
New Teen Titans #1 (Baxter)
New Titans #50-54, 60, 61
New Warriors #1
The Nam #1
Nick Fury vs. Shield #1-6
Omega #1
Omega Men #37
Poison Elves #8-10 (Mulehide)
Predator #2-4
Punisher #2-5, 8, 9
Punisher War Journal #1, 6, 7
Robin #1
Rocketeer Special Edition #1
Rocketeer Adventure Magazine #1
Rom #75
Rust #12
Sandman #9-20, 23-45
Shadowman #1-3
Silver Surfer #1, 36-50, 75
Spawn #2-4
Spectacular Spiderman #116, 119, 141-143, 159-160
Solar #2-9, 11
Star Wars #80-99
Superman #1, 9, 73, 74
Superman Man of Steel #19
Swamp Thing #26-33, 35, 36, 41-64, 84
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 3rd, #2 2nd, #5-8
Tick #3-8
Thor #350-384, 411
Web of Spiderman #30, 38, 48, 59. 60, Annual #2
West Coast Avengers #1-4
Wolverine #2-9, 17, 41, 42
Wonder Woman #329, 1
X-Factor #1, 5, 40, 41, 42
X-O Manowar #2, 3, 5, 6




* How I determine "status": recognition + popularity of book + popularity of character + value. Not everyone may agree with all placing, but it will be close. Books that are expensive, but not necessarily recognized (like Albedo #0 first printing variants) aren't going to be "major keys" and so forth. Likewise, a book may not necessarily be very expensive, but may be immensely popular, to be considered a "key" (a la X-Men #248.) Status can and has changed over the years.

(if you see an issue missing, check the date range given. It might fall out of that range.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Ibis
Man of Comic Investing Awesomeness


Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Last Visit: 26 Nov 2021
Posts: 3924

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the Date range?

Shouldn't Madman or THB be included? Strangers in Paradise? I think the list includes too much crap and doesn't focus enough on keys. Rai #3 & #4 are no more keys than Solar #9. They are more in demand because people liked them and they were touted as the lowest print runs. With the collector fanbase being reduced now, I don't see them as key at all.

Popular... yes. All keys... no.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whetteon
Landlord


Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Last Visit: 01 Sep 2021
Posts: 7773
Location: Pittsburg, KS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one persons opinion and it's not a bad one. Confused Thumbs Up
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Rai-fan
Man of Comic Investing Awesomeness


Joined: 13 Nov 2007
Last Visit: 10 Apr 2021
Posts: 2406

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ibis wrote:
Rai-fan wrote:

It's probably made a resurgence due to both the original art cover and several pages selling publicly at auction within the last 60 days.


I think someone had posted an original art page from that comic and was asking why their page was getting so much attention. I don't know what I have from that series. I wasn't collecting comics when it came out. I do know I have a #1.


Yeah--some dude on the CGC boards posted a panel page from # 10 on eBay and it sold for ~$1,500. Not only was it classic Buscema/Sienkiewicz from a key issue, but the page was the first appearance of Silverfox--Wolverine's first love and reason he hates Sabretooth--she also featured prominently in the Wolverine movie.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
whetteon
Landlord


Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Last Visit: 01 Sep 2021
Posts: 7773
Location: Pittsburg, KS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rai-fan wrote:
Ibis wrote:
Rai-fan wrote:

It's probably made a resurgence due to both the original art cover and several pages selling publicly at auction within the last 60 days.


I think someone had posted an original art page from that comic and was asking why their page was getting so much attention. I don't know what I have from that series. I wasn't collecting comics when it came out. I do know I have a #1.


Yeah--some dude on the CGC boards posted a panel page from # 10 on eBay and it sold for ~$1,500. Not only was it classic Buscema/Sienkiewicz from a key issue, but the page was the first appearance of Silverfox--Wolverine's first love and reason he hates Sabretooth--she also featured prominently in the Wolverine movie.


Perfect timing for the seller.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
whetteon
Landlord


Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Last Visit: 01 Sep 2021
Posts: 7773
Location: Pittsburg, KS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really, really, really want an Albedo #2 for an affordable price. The only books I see on eBay are CGC 9.4 at $1,800 or higher and I'm not sure that's something I'm willing to pay. I've seen a few rare copies placed on eBay but people have been outbidding me.

If I can snag it I will be finished with my Copper Age Independent key set.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
wickedmountain
noob


Joined: 17 Dec 2014
Last Visit: 13 Feb 2017
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whetteon wrote:
This was from the CGC forums:

Quote:

Major keys:

Albedo #2
Amazing Spiderman #300
Bone #1
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1

Keys:

Albedo #0, all firsts
Albedo #1, 1st & 2nd
Alf #48
Amazing Spiderman #252, 293, 294, 298, 299, 312, 316, 361
Batman #366, 368, 400, 404-407, 417-420, 426-429
Batman: The Dark Knight #1-4
Batman: The Killing Joke
Bone #2-8
Caliber Presents #1
Captain America #332, Annual #8
Crisis On Infinite Earths #7, 8
Crow #1-4
Cry for Dawn #1, #3 Horror, #5-8 Limited
Daredevil #227, 254
Detective Comics #575-578
Faust #1 Limited
Flaming Carrot #1
GI Joe #21
Gobbledygook #1, 2
Harbinger #0 Pink
Harbinger #1
I,Lusiphur #1, 3
Incredible Hulk #330, 340
Justice League #3 Variant
Magnus Robot Fighter #0
Miracleman #1 Gold, 1 Blue, 10-23
New Mutants #87, 98
Punisher Limited Series #1-5
Rai #3, 4
Sandman #1, 8 (both)
Secret Wars #8
Solar #10
Spiderman #1 Platinum
Spiderman #1 Gold UPC
Spiderman vs. Wolverine #1
Star Wars #107
Superman #75
Swamp Thing #20, 21, 37
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #2
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #3 variant
Tick Special Edition #1, 2
Tick #1
Transformers #76-80
Uncanny X-Men #201, 205, 210-213, 244, 248, 266, 268, 297 Gold, 303 Gold, 307 Gold
Unity #0 Red
Watchmen #1-12
Wolverine #10
X-Men #11 Silver/Platinum

Semi-Keys:

Albedo #0 Second
Albedo #4
Aliens #1, 2
Alpha Flight #51
Action Comics #583
Amazing Spiderman #249-251, 253, 265, 285, 289, 301-311, 313-325, 328, 330, 331, 344, 345, 362, 363, Annual #21 (both)
Animal Man #1, 5
Batman #436, 442, 457, 488
Batman: Sword of Azrael #1-4
Batman: Vengeance of Bane #1
Bone #9, 10
Captain America #333, 334
Crisis On Infinite Earths #1, 12
Cry For Dawn #2-8, #4 Limited
Daredevil #228-233, 238, 241, 248, 249. 257
Dark Horse Presents #24
Dark Horse 5th Anniversary Special
Death Rattle #8
Detective Comics #535, 569. 570, 572, 574, 598-600
Doom Patrol #19
Ewoks #1-14
Fantastic Four #320, #347-349
Faust #1, 2
Flaming Carrot #2-5
Flash #350, 1
Firestorm #61 Variant
Ghost Rider #1
GI Joe #26, 27, 93-96
Green Lantern #195
Green Lantern Emerald Dawn #1
Grendel #40
Groo Special Edition #1
Harbinger #2-6
Hellblazer #1, 27
Incredible Hulk #324, 331-334, 336-339, 341-346, 350, 367, 377
Infinity, Inc. #14
I, Lusiphur #2, 4-7
Iron Man #225
Justice League #1
Legion of Superheroes #37, 38
Longshot #1-6
Mage #1, 6
Magnus #1, 5, 12
Marvel Team-Up #141
Megaton #3, 8, Explosion
Miracleman #1-9
New Mutants #86, 88, 93-97, 100
New Teen Titans #44
Omega #1 Limited
Predator #1
Primer #5
Punisher #1, 10
Rai #1, 2, 5
Robotech: Macross #1
Sandman #2-7, 21, 22
Silver Surfer #15, 34, 35
Solar #1
Spawn #1
Spectacular Spiderman #90, 131, 132, 158
Star Wars #100-106
Superman #423, 50, 74
Superman: Man of Steel #17, 18
Swamp Thing #22-25, 34, 38-40, Annual #2
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 2nd, #3, 4
Tick #2
Thor #412
Transformers #1, 70-75
V For Vendetta #1-12
Uncanny X-Men #221, 222, 225-227, 234, 256-258, 267, 269, 270-277, 281, 282, 283, Annual #9. 10, 14
Web of Spiderman #1, 18, 29, 31, 32
Wolverine #1
X-O Manowar #1, 4
X-Factor #6, 24


Issues of note:

Action Comics #584, 598, 683, 684
Adventures of Superman #463, 496. 497
Airboy #5
Akira #1
Albedo #3
Aliens #3-6, Vol 2 1-4
Aliens vs. Predator #1
All-Star Squadron #47
Alpha Flight #13, 17, 33, 34, 52, 53, 87-90, 106
Amazing Spiderman #254-261, 274, 275, 276, 281, 284, 327, 329, 346, 347, 359, 360
Animal Man #2-4
Avengers #263, 329
Batman #408-410, 416, 423, 433-435, 437-441, 450, 451, 465, 489-492
Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight #1
Bone #1 2nd
Caliber Presents #2, 15
Caliber Christmas Special
Captain America #300, 323, 328, 335-350, 366, 383
Cerebus #147, 161
Crisis On Infinite Earths #2-6, 9-11
Daredevil #219, 236
Dark Horse Presents #1, 10, 34-36, 51-62
Defenders #152
Detective Comics #566, 604-607
Doom Patrol #20-25
Elektra Assassin #1-8
Excalibur Special
Excalibur #1, 57, 58
Fantastic Four #250-292, 296, 321, 325, 358
Flaming Carrot #6-15
GI Joe #60
Ghost Rider #2-6, 15
Green Arrow Long Bow Hunters #1-3
Green Arrow #1
Green Hornet #1
Green Lantern #194, 200, 224
Green Lantern Emerald Dawn #2-6
Grendel #35-39
Groo #29
Hellblazer #2-10, 25, 26, 40-50
Incredible Hulk #300, 314, 327, 348, 368-376, 379, 400
Infinity, Inc #15-37, Annual #1
Iron Man #191, 192, 200, 226-232, 244, 250, 282, 283
Justice League #2-7, 18, 19
Kitty Pryde & Wolverine #1
Legends #6
L.E.G.I.O.N. #4
Mage #2-5, 7-15
Magnus Robot Fighter #2-4, 6-11
Marvel Team-Up #150
New Mutants #85, 89-92, 99, Special Edition #1
New Teen titans #34, 39, 42, 43, Annual #3
New Teen Titans #1 (Baxter)
New Titans #50-54, 60, 61
New Warriors #1
The Nam #1
Nick Fury vs. Shield #1-6
Omega #1
Omega Men #37
Poison Elves #8-10 (Mulehide)
Predator #2-4
Punisher #2-5, 8, 9
Punisher War Journal #1, 6, 7
Robin #1
Rocketeer Special Edition #1
Rocketeer Adventure Magazine #1
Rom #75
Rust #12
Sandman #9-20, 23-45
Shadowman #1-3
Silver Surfer #1, 36-50, 75
Spawn #2-4
Spectacular Spiderman #116, 119, 141-143, 159-160
Solar #2-9, 11
Star Wars #80-99
Superman #1, 9, 73, 74
Superman Man of Steel #19
Swamp Thing #26-33, 35, 36, 41-64, 84
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 3rd, #2 2nd, #5-8
Tick #3-8
Thor #350-384, 411
Web of Spiderman #30, 38, 48, 59. 60, Annual #2
West Coast Avengers #1-4
Wolverine #2-9, 17, 41, 42
Wonder Woman #329, 1
X-Factor #1, 5, 40, 41, 42
X-O Manowar #2, 3, 5, 6




* How I determine "status": recognition + popularity of book + popularity of character + value. Not everyone may agree with all placing, but it will be close. Books that are expensive, but not necessarily recognized (like Albedo #0 first printing variants) aren't going to be "major keys" and so forth. Likewise, a book may not necessarily be very expensive, but may be immensely popular, to be considered a "key" (a la X-Men #248.) Status can and has changed over the years.

(if you see an issue missing, check the date range given. It might fall out of that range.)
wow ty for this info Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
J Jenna Jameson
noob


Joined: 03 Jun 2019
Last Visit: 24 Oct 2021
Posts: 4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ibis wrote:
Shouldn't Madman or THB be included? Strangers in Paradise?
I think Strangers In Paradise began in 1993 and THB in 1994, so they're probably both modern not copper. Tundra's Madman #1 was published the month before Youngblood #1, so may squeeze in as copper. Frank Einstein's earlier appearance in Creatures of the Id #1 would definitely be copper.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ibis
Man of Comic Investing Awesomeness


Joined: 22 Jun 2008
Last Visit: 26 Nov 2021
Posts: 3924

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Jenna Jameson wrote:
Ibis wrote:
Shouldn't Madman or THB be included? Strangers in Paradise?
I think Strangers In Paradise began in 1993 and THB in 1994, so they're probably both modern not copper. Tundra's Madman #1 was published the month before Youngblood #1, so may squeeze in as copper. Frank Einstein's earlier appearance in Creatures of the Id #1 would definitely be copper.


I forgot this was a copper age thread. Apologies! The ages mean very little to me anymore because everyone defines them differently and it doesn't ultimately affect the worth or collectibility.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Key Comic Books All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group