Forum Index
Home | Facebook | Twitter | Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CGC vs. PGX Certified and Others

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you pay more for a CGC Certified book?
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 3

winhga12
noob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: CGC vs. PGX Certified and Others Reply with quote

Is there a difference on the collector market between the CGC and PGX?

Meaning would a CGC Certified fetch a higher price than a PGX Certified book of the same grade?
Madcircle
market noob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I personally wouldn't pay more for a CGC vs. PGX or CBCS. However, I have seen PGX books go for less than the same grade in CGC, so there is the stigma. I have an Amazing Spider-Man #8 that is PGX 8.0 and if I ever sold it, I would likely crack it and submit to CGC to get the higher price point.
Rai-fan
Man of Comic Investing Awesomeness

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem buying CGCS books.

I've never submitted to CBCS but I have bought ones already slabbed -- some that I've sent to CGC came in higher, some came in lower, some were the same grade.

But overall, it seems the grading was consistent among the two companies.

CBCS seems penalized in the market (by ~20% of so) relative to CGC, but I think the grading is similarly tight between the two.

I'd never buy a PGX book.
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CGC will fetch higher prices, but that's because it has become a standard search term for collectors wanting professionally graded comics.

Much in the same way that "Xerox" is a standard term for making copies and "Google" is standard term for doing an internet search. CGC auctions will attract more hits because collectors will type CGC before they type CBCS.

Over time, that may change, but for now it's pretty much what people are doing.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very hopeful for cbcs becoming a better cgc than cgc.

I have no faith in pgx and I will pay more because while a pictures says a thousand words it fails silent when trying to discover every error of a comic and graded it accurately. Grading companies take out the guess work and offer some form of security that the comic won't be damaged in the near future.
vbchris
noob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've personally been very happy with CBCS and haven't used CGC in years. The grading with CBCS seems to be very consistent to me, but unfortunately,I've seen the same book in the same grade sell for more on Ebay when it's a CGC book vs. CBCS. Not in all cases to be sure, but the market seems to place a premium on CGC at this time.
Madcircle
market noob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So just a recent encounter was that I purchased a PGX 9.8 book of Batman #608 Jim Lee cover, cracked it to be signed and graded by CGC. It came back a 9.2. CGC did the cracking, so it wasn't my skills. This makes me more inclined to stick with CGC over the competition.
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madcircle wrote:
So just a recent encounter was that I purchased a PGX 9.8 book of Batman #608 Jim Lee cover, cracked it to be signed and graded by CGC. It came back a 9.2. CGC did the cracking, so it wasn't my skills. This makes me more inclined to stick with CGC over the competition.

CGC could intentionally do that to discredit PGX.
If the roles were reversed, would you be praising PGX for being a more accurate grading company? I'm not an advocate of either, but I'm wondering if this is a fair criteria in which to criticize one grading company over the other.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Ibis but if PGX walks like a duck, sounds like a duck and flies like a duck...
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whetteon wrote:
Sorry Ibis but if PGX walks like a duck, sounds like a duck and flies like a duck...

I'm not saying that to imply PGX is better than they are. It's just my feeling that CGC has a whole separate sideline of questionable practices.
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are _plenty_ of reasons to distrust PGX that have nothing to do with CGC potentially downgrading their slabs.

I experienced a mixed bag when I sent CBCS slabs to CGC -- some came back the same grade, some lower, and some higher.

Only one real surprise downgrade (CBCS 9.6 to CGC 9.2), and it referenced a tear on the back cover I'm 90% certain wasn't there in the CBCS slab.

Takeaway lesson? Take back cover photos before submission as well.

Verdict: I trust CGCS as equal to CGC -- even if the market still gives CGC about a 10% advantage in price.

I would _never_ touch a PGX book -- unless it were undervalued by at least 40% and I knew I could recoup my investment even if it was restored.
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a general rule, I buy comics to look at inside and out. If it's slabbed, I'm LESS likely to buy it, even if it was half price. There are a few comics that I'd have slabbed if it was more convenient and the turnaround times were quick. Those would be duplicates of things I already own or something that I never care about looking at the interiors again.

CGC's grading is unacceptable to me. PGX is even less acceptable. That leaves only CBCS as an option if I want to get anything graded.

With CBCS moving to Texas, you'd think they have inroads to beef up a partnership with Heritage Auctions and become the preferred grader. It probably won't happen because I suspect CGC is already in collusion with Heritage. Just a suspicion.
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As noted, I absolutely trust CGC and CBCS grading -- even as I find both to be very strict.

Interesting chatter on the CGC boards over the last three months is that CGC is back in a tight grading cycle.

9.8s cannot have one color-breaking spine tick, no matter how small (although there are many examples of such 9.8s in the past), and one dealer commented:

"I don't know anyone -- dealer or collector -- who now grades as tightly as does CGC."

What this means for my buying is that I now presume most raw books are 9.4 at best, reserving 9.6 to 9.8 for truly flawless books.

That's weird, but we live in an environment where _so_ many comics from 1980-present might be worth $60 in slabbed 9.8, but only $2 in raw 9.4.

The difference between a 9.6 and a 9.8 raw could literally mean the difference between selling for $1 and selling for $20. And dealers know this.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz Think

Time to buy those 9.4's
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Beginning Investors All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: