Forum Index
Home | Facebook | Twitter | Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rai-Fan's Magnus Robot Fighter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rai-fan
Man of Comic Investing Awesomeness

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks - I finally did it!

My Magnus collection was honored by CGC yesterday as one of the three "Best Silver Age sets"

Rock On!

Thanks for your support and encouragement on this 5-year journey!
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

Thumbs Up Cool
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First new comic purchase in awhile:

Doctor Solar # 22, CGC 8.5 from Heritage last night. Won for $27 ($37 shipped).

I started collecting Doctor Solar as an after-thought when I was so far along in my Magnus set that upgrades appeared on the market only twice a year.

Ironically, this one has proven harder to complete, even in a goal grade of just 9.0-9.2 (whereas with Magnus I was--and still am--going for solid 9.4 plus & have achieved an average of 9.6).

Doctor Solar has 15 less issues than Magnus, but fewer available slabs.

And there are two collectors far ahead of me, so I'll never rank better than 3rd.

I went into last night missing 6 of the issues (# 5, 8-10, 22, & 29).

Decided to pull the trigger on # 22 in a mere 8.5 because it went cheap (an $8 bid, plus $19 premium -- or, slabbing costs), and is by far the hardest to find of the later issues in grade.

Sure, I could have waited another year or two for 9.0 or better to show up, but this is a decent placeholder for now.

5 issues left (of which, # 5 is nearly impossible. Only 3 copies in 9.0 or 9.2, with none higher. And 2 of those 3 are owned by the top two leaders on the CGC Registry).
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rai-fan wrote:
First new comic purchase in awhile:

Doctor Solar # 22, CGC 8.5 from Heritage last night. Won for $27 ($37 shipped).

I started collecting Doctor Solar as an after-thought when I was so far along in my Magnus set that upgrades appeared on the market only twice a year.

Ironically, this one has proven harder to complete, even in a goal grade of just 9.0-9.2 (whereas with Magnus I was--and still am--going for solid 9.4 plus & have achieved an average of 9.6).

Doctor Solar has 15 less issues than Magnus, but fewer available slabs.

And there are two collectors far ahead of me, so I'll never rank better than 3rd.

I went into last night missing 6 of the issues (# 5, 8-10, 22, & 29).

Decided to pull the trigger on # 22 in a mere 8.5 because it went cheap (an $8 bid, plus $19 premium -- or, slabbing costs), and is by far the hardest to find of the later issues in grade.

Sure, I could have waited another year or two for 9.0 or better to show up, but this is a decent placeholder for now.

5 issues left (of which, # 5 is nearly impossible. Only 3 copies in 9.0 or 9.2, with none higher. And 2 of those 3 are owned by the top two leaders on the CGC Registry).

Sounds great. Any progress is still progress.
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+2 for my Magnus collection -- from the former # 3 Registry set holder.

Magnus # 34, CBCS 9.6.
Magnus # 46 (last issue), CBCS 9.4.

I have to send these to CGC for re-grading, but if the grades hold, they'd both be the single highest of each issue. (The CGC 9.4 # 46 is a mistake - it was a label mistake of my 9.0 by CGC and while they re-holdered it, they didn't remove the incorrect 9.4 from the census).

Also picked up a # 3, in CBCS 9.0, simply because it's the hardest to find Silver Age issue in grade. Goes for $650 or so in CGC 9.4 & $350 in CGC 9.2.

Figured that under $60 shipped for a 9.0 was a bargain, even if it grades out at CGC 8.5.
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they grade differently, it would be nice to see how differently.
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnus # 46 remains my nemesis.

So I'm still waiting for my last shipment of 5 books to CGC. They're spit into three groups because one was a modern, one was Silver Age and I sent three to get pressed.

Haven't received it yet, but found out yesterday that CGC graded that CBCS 9.4 copy of Magnus # 46 noted above as a mere 8.0, apparently due to some flaws on the back cover.

Frustrated

I'm a bit skeptical, as I examined the front and back of the book in the slab before submitting it, but I also submitted 3 of these 5 books to CGC still in the CBCS slabs. Wondering a bit about it...

Either way, this makes two 9.2+ copies of Magnus # 46 that I've submitted in hopes of having one actually grade out above 9.0.

(The other, you'll recall, was initially graded as 9.4 but with the wrong label -- CGC's mistake -- came back appropriately graded as an 8.5. BUT they failed to remove the mislabeled 9.4 from the CGC Census).

So, regardless of what the census says, I've still got the highest-graded 9.0, as well as an 8.5 and an 8.0 now.

My response? I just bought two more copies online today from a dealer whose grading I trust -- these are supposedly 9.0 and 9.2.

Thus begins again the 6-month long process of submitting to CGC for pressing and grading -- all just trying to beat CGC 9.0 for a 1977 book.
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frustrating I can imagine. I'm skeptical that CGC would find a flaw that significant on a book that CBCS graded.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ibis wrote:
Frustrating I can imagine. I'm skeptical that CGC would find a flaw that significant on a book that CBCS graded.

I agree. Very skeptical. Think
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think CGC likes to play games with grades I submitted multiple high grade copies of the same book once and it looked like they shaved the grades down because they didn't want a flood of high grade books popping up at once on something relatively hard to find. I think they bump up grades for good customers and big spenders. I think they'd do anything they can to discredit CBCS. CBCS doesn't sit around insulting CGC, but CGC is not hesitant to insult CBCS from what people have said online.
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah -- it may have been a tactical error on my part to submit three books to CGC still in CBCS slabs.

But I _seriously_ didn't want to risk trying to get them out of the slab -- which are sealed more tightly than CGC ones -- esp. when 2 of the 3 books should have come out as highest graded copies.

Be interesting to see what the other ones grade out as. I should get the next grade on Monday.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know Rai.

It has been rumored that CGC plays a numbers game and as Ibis said, this may be just them being jack asses.

Confused
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second book:

Magnus # 3, CBCS 9.0.

I took a risk on this one because it's one of the 5 rarest Magnus books in high grade.

Graded out at CGC 8.5 (with some pressable defects noted -- would likely have gone 9.0/9.2 with a press).

So its GPA value is just $50-$60, which is what I paid.

At 9.0 it'd jump to $100, probably $250 at 9.2.

Still -- 9.0 to 8.5 I could understand but 9.4 to 8.0 baffles me.

Problem is, I don't have any photos of the original back cover on that one to verify the "pieces missing" that supposedly knocked it down -- just a front cover photo.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it will be noticeable off when you get it back. Think
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.

Just received the Magnus 46 -- def. presents like a 9.4, but there's a 1/2" piece (chip) missing from the upper left-hand (edge) corner of the back cover.

90% sure it wasn't there when I shipped it as a sealed CBCS 9.4.

Because it's readily apparent -- and I didn't notice any such defect before.

Sadly - I don't have a back cover photo.

Just frustrating.

Doubly so because it's essentially a qualified NM book now -- 9.4 but with one isolated defect that just kills it.

And it means that one of the few possible Magnus 46s that could have broken the 9.0 barrier is out of the game.

I mailed two additional 9.0/9.2 file copies copies to CGC this morning.

This means by Thanksgiving that I will have personally slabbed 4 of the 11 Western Publishing File Copies discovered and auctioned by Heritage back in 2005,

and I own a 5th one -- the current 9.0 highest.

At least I know there are 6 more potential NMs out there from that file copy stash.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Collection Snapshots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: