Forum Index
Home | Facebook | Twitter | Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest Buys
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scout
comic speculator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Latest Buys Reply with quote

It's been a long time but I couldn't pass up a few books in the latest Heritage auction.

After noticing that the cover to my current copy of this book is a hare's breath away from becoming detached I decided it needed replacing.

And this one I got to fill a missing slot in my run. There were a few more in the series I wish I could have picked up, but you can't have everything. Just have to pace myself. I also want to pick these up as raw copies if possible because I actually want to read them. Plus, I'm following the advice here on the forum - I'm looking for ~8.0 copies that don't break the bank but are in great condition. That way I can hopefully save some real cash for the true investment level books. Thumbs Up

Rai-fan
Man of Comic Investing Awesomeness

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff!
And I'm with you on the 8.0s that don't break the bank.

I just received a CGC 8.0 ASM 300 in the mail and couldn't be happier.

It's the third time I've owned the book. The first was a weird 9.0 in high school that had the Marvel chip-style fraying on the right edge of the cover. The second was a raw 9.6 that I sold before Spider-man 3.

And this one looks like a solid 9.4 from the front, but is likely brought down by a smudge on the back cover and some interior damage. So the way I see it, I got a 9.4 looking book for an 8.0 price.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice books scout. Glad you posted them. I love the Annual #1. Thumbs Up
Ibis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only Thor issues that really interest me are JIM #83-100 and the keys. I probably have 4 copies of #193. Even though there is nothing special about it, I own a couple of copies of #200. Why? Because it took a decade before I ever saw one in a comic store locally. I bought the only 2 copies I'd ever seen. Thor #225 would be cool if they'd do something with Firelord. I have the HIM (Warlock) issues. Overall, Thor was one of the spottiest titles I collected. I never missed buying a copy of Hulk, but I only bought Thor if the cover interested me or the previous issue in my collection closed on something that interested me. I absolutely love Keith Pollard's art, so the Celestials storyline had me hooked. Didn't miss any of those.
scout
comic speculator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ibis wrote:
The only Thor issues that really interest me are JIM #83-100 and the keys.

I would consider JIM #83 a personal grail for myself and am always on the look out for them when they hit the auctions. I've yet to be able to grab one though. Just not able to muster the cojones to spend that kind of cash yet.

Other than that, how can you go wrong with Kirby + Thor?
Ibis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scout wrote:
Ibis wrote:
The only Thor issues that really interest me are JIM #83-100 and the keys.

I would consider JIM #83 a personal grail for myself and am always on the look out for them when they hit the auctions. I've yet to be able to grab one though. Just not able to muster the cojones to spend that kind of cash yet.

Other than that, how can you go wrong with Kirby + Thor?

I have a good chunk of the pre 100 JIM comics. Nothing high grade of course. For me the joy is owning it, not breaking the bank account. I do have #84.

Of the Marvel Silver age keys. I want to own a TOS #39 (again) and I want a JIM #83.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JIM #83 is quite the gem to own. I hope to get one someday too. It took me about ten years to finally get a copy of Avengers #1, ToS #39 and ASM #1. So maybe in another ten years... Hope Wink
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ibis wrote:
Thor #225 would be cool if they'd do something with Firelord. I have the HIM (Warlock) issues.

He was at one time a bad ass but than just kind of got placed on the back burner and than sometime in the early 80's got knocked out by Spider-Man. No seriously, KO'ed by your friendly neighborhood spider-man. Ignore I sure hope some of Marvel's current writers reinvent the character so that he's not only a bad ass but interesting. Hope Sort of like Nova (which I'm quite sure at this moment could also knock Firelord unconscious.)

I had collected the HIM issues in Thor but the one that forever eluded me in high grade, #165, just never materialized so out of frustration I sold the remainders and refocused on my high grade Captain Marvel #25-34 set. In 20-20 hindsight it was a smart move. Razz
Ibis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whetteon wrote:
Ibis wrote:
Thor #225 would be cool if they'd do something with Firelord. I have the HIM (Warlock) issues.

He was at one time a bad ass but than just kind of got placed on the back burner and than sometime in the early 80's got knocked out by Spider-Man. No seriously, KO'ed by your friendly neighborhood spider-man. Ignore I sure hope some of Marvel's current writers reinvent the character so that he's not only a bad ass but interesting. Hope Sort of like Nova (which I'm quite sure at this moment could also knock Firelord unconscious.)

I had collected the HIM issues in Thor but the one that forever eluded me in high grade, #165, just never materialized so out of frustration I sold the remainders and refocused on my high grade Captain Marvel #25-34 set. In 20-20 hindsight it was a smart move. Razz

Although the only Starlin book I ever upgraded was Iron Man #55, I had a habit of buying any later Captain Marvel books if I saw them in a dollar box. I was a big Captain Marvel fan since I started reading it at the time Starlin started working on the series. I was pissed when Starlin was allowed to kill him. I know the story about how Starlin's dad had died of cancer, but I don't think that is justification to kill a character that people like. I like heroes to have providence. Killing Captain Marvel just made him a loser. I never viewed him a a B-grade hero. He could have been promoted better outside his title and I think the sales could have been better. In a simple way, I really liked the 70's Nova series. I don't think he's ever really been used properly either.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've seen the Nova stuff that's been put out in the last couple of years right? The Annihilation story line was epic and often over looked because it's a space odyssey and typically those don't do as well. I haven't been keeping track of the series since issue #26 or #27ish when Nova reunites briefly with some of the New Warriors. It was a touching issue for me.
Ibis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whetteon wrote:
You've seen the Nova stuff that's been put out in the last couple of years right? The Annihilation story line was epic and often over looked because it's a space odyssey and typically those don't do as well. I haven't been keeping track of the series since issue #26 or #27ish when Nova reunites briefly with some of the New Warriors. It was a touching issue for me.

I need to get off my ass a write my list of 100 reasons why I don't like modern comics. I saw a Nova comic maybe 2 years ago that had an action cover. Nova was doing something. That impressed me, but nothing excited me enough to buy it. I haven't really read a Marvel title since the clone saga and turning over the Marvel universe to the Image creators.
scout
comic speculator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked this up from the MCS auction the other day completely just for fun. Gotta take a break from investing sometimes and this looked just like the thing - awesome Kirby vikings in space! Very Happy

gowaltrip
hobbyist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's hot dude. Love the cover.
Ibis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scout wrote:
Picked this up from the MCS auction the other day completely just for fun. Gotta take a break from investing sometimes and this looked just like the thing - awesome Kirby vikings in space! Very Happy

Love the pre-hero stuff. I'm trying to fill in Tales To Astonish before I branch out into JIM, TOS, and Strange tales.

df1
define999
hobbyist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice books! Suprised Good scores.... I personally will take 8.0's that present well all day long! Laughing

View my massive comic related links page here...
http://comicbookcollection.webs.com/apps/links/
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Collection Snapshots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: