Forum Index
Home | Facebook | Twitter | Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reflection of the Collection.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reflection of the Collection. Reply with quote

Just a quick mental check on the state of my collection for the last past decade help me orientate just how far I've come and why the general downturn market may be a blessing in disguise.

Back in 1999-2000 I was just finishing moving from CA to KS. While living in CA I remained pretty true to my comic purchasing roots. I still bought weekly issues like JLA 1 but due to the bust of the 90's I had a few options avaliable to me for the first time. Old SA books and titles for $20 per at one of the local comic stores that was on the verge to closing.

Even though I was in college the back issues for $40 prove to much of a temptation to not grab at least $40 worth of material. I got an Amazing Spider-Man #23 and 24 in Fine. Exciting purchases because I never had an opportunity like that before.

Of course I had my long-term eye on the Amazing Spider-Man 1 in VG on the wall for $1000. It seemed like a no brainer but I never could raise the funds nor convince any of my relatives to front me the money for a "dying hobby".

Since my family just moved from West Chester PA to Wichita KS, all my comics were in storage. And as the days gone by I recalled my collection being more and more awesome. When we finally saddled into the new house I opened my boxes of books and compared it to my recent Amazing Spider-Man 23,24 purchases only to find 98% of my collection sucked. It was then I realized I need a better understanding (and an income) to collect what I really wanted to focus on. Image #1's and random Amazing Spider-Man clone issues wasn't want I wanted my collection to be.

Escaflown4
noob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remembered when I first got back into collecting in 2005, I looked through the two long boxes of comics I had since I first started collecting in the early nineties. I used to think I had a very good collection since I had practically most of the books that were considered "HOT" at the time, which is by today's standard considered overprinted junk that's not even worth a glance at. I really did regret spending $$ on the over-hyped early Image books, but my passion for Valiant Comics still withheld since I had no problems reading them over and over again.

As a kid, I was heavily influenced by the Marvel Series 1 cards. which was the culprit that got me into the hobby. When I saw the MVC "Most Valuable Comics" cards, I thought I would never get the chance to own them. Now I find myself trying to assemble them all in my collection. I am currently working on a full run of Amazing Spider-Man and collecting every single major Marvel Silver and Bronze Age key issues.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Escaflown4 wrote:
I remembered when I first got back into collecting in 2005, I looked through the two long boxes of comics I had since I first started collecting in the early nineties. I used to think I had a very good collection since I had practically most of the books that were considered "HOT" at the time, which is by today's standard considered overprinted junk that's not even worth a glance at. I really did regret spending $$ on the over-hyped early Image books, but my passion for Valiant Comics still withheld since I had no problems reading them over and over again.

That pretty much summed up my collection starting off the new millineum/decade of my collection. If Wizard had listed it in their top 10 list at one time I probably owned it. Sadly I never sold while it was $100 per issue. By the time I got into the stuff packed away I had worthless 10 cent books that was hard to get a die-hard interested in -- let alone a comic collector.

Luckily the few extremely nice earlier SA issues I bought from the stores in CA ignited a new passion to retool most of my collection. I of course discovered eBay pretty early. Early enough to pick up some good books at bargain prices and I sold just about every book I had owned up to then in one big "lot" for about $45. I pulled out a short list of books I had to keep -- but moved a majority of Image titles and random miscellaneous garbage I otherwise couldn't get 10cents per book. It was painful to ship everything to the new owner but I never had regrets.

Ibis
Man of Comic Investing Awesomeness

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I collected for many years and bought most everything I wanted between '74 - '83. I had started a few years earlier, but between those years there is unlikely to be a comic I really wish I owned. A few years before getting out of comics I was buying multiples. 6 copies of the Wolverine miniseries... Daredevil in the 180's... etc. I was even putting my comics in Mylites way before most collectors knew they existed. By the time I quit, I had bought X-Men #1-up which was in the early 190's at the time. I had quite a few keys mixed in there. I had several Golden age books that I'd bought cheaep, but to me nothing special. I quit collecting so I could afford to date. I liked my comics, but I had no regrets and quit cold turkey. In late 80's, the economy had been tight and I'd quit two jobs back to back. The girl I was in love with had died in a traffic accident. I was pretty much flat broke. In debt. The only job I had was taking any stray work I could do working for my dad's broadcast engineering service. Even his business was slow, but I did have a trickle of income. I had to have entertainment. I've always been the restless type and easily bored. On my off nights I started hanging around a rock n' roll club. It was cool because celebrities would wander in sometimes. The bouncer however and the sound guy for band Jackyl were occasionally talking comics. They had Wizard out and were rambling through the prices. One day I asked 'What does X-Men #1 go for? I have two of those." I think they said it wasn't out yet. I said... "no... the original from 1963". From that point on, we were talking comics all the time. I eventually pulled my comics out of storage and started reading what I had from oldest to newest. Defenders #1 to over 100... I read it straight through. In my mind it was very cool because rereading my comics kept me entertained and it was free. As I started getting back in the groove, I looked back on what had retained value vs. what had not. I started wishing I'd filled in on the silver age books more. I started looking at how much I spent on price guides and magazines about collecting. I wished I'd bought less of that stuff. I looked at Iron Man #1 & Micronauts #1. Both were $10 books in the condition I had, but the fad book was worthless and the Iron Man #1 had jumped in value the greatest percentage. This mindset made me reprioritize all my buying.

1) Established older comics are the best investment.
2) Fads are just fads and too dependent on snapshot circumstances of the time period.
3) Quality stands the test of time.
4) If a book is limited or hard to get, you need to buy it when you can or you may never see the opportunity again.
5) I wanted the Silver Age Marvel originals.

I'm mainly a reader and a collector, but I like to look back and see that my money spent has retained it's value. I looked at my duplicates and thought... these add up to quite a bit. I started looking for dealers that would do trades for Silver Age since I didn't have a lot of money. I remember my first trade after getting back into comics was for a TTA#60. I was awed that I was able to get it because I'm a huge fan of Hulk. It's the equivalent of a Hulk #8. I tinkred around with new Marvel Comics at the time and thought they were horrible. My friend at the rock n' roll club and a dealer both pointed me to Valiant when I asked what certain creators were doing. If not for Valiant, I probably would have quit collecting again. Instead, my income did nothing but increase. I started selling on the side and my trades got better and better. Now I look back at bronze age fodder and it doesn't mean to much to me because it takes up too much space. I have too many comics. Only keys and rarities excite me. I've seen too much of the common stuff.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By early 2001 I was searching eBay and the internet for knowledge and ideas on what might be worth collecting. Specifically things that made me happy to own and not the modern age crap I just sold off. So I starting looking around for Silver Age Keys. I recall passing a few Green Lantern 76's in NM for $150. I thought those prices were ridiculous. I unsuccessfully tried buying up Showcase 22, 34 and Justice League 1 in Fine for around $100. But was always the second bidder. That just frustrated me.

Luckily the internet reminded me of a passion I had in the 90's... Valiant books. And they were dirt cheap now. All the rare books and covers I could never own in the early 1990's for mere dollars.

So I started posting on the forums and silently buying up the vast majority of "rare" covers for cheap. Thumbs Up Bought my first Harbinger 0 pink and Unity 0 red for $10 a piece. About that time and I started reflecting on prices and recording them in text files which I later shared in 2004.
Ibis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never owned a Unity red until one of my friends was trying to sell off some comics for money. He had a stack of early Gold Valiant books and a Unity red. I wanted the red, but he wanted to sell everything as a set and I didn't want to buy the Hard Corp Gold and some others. I told him what the books were going for and suggested he put that as the reserve. To salt his auction and help guarantee interest, I offered to toss in my spare Italian version of the Alpha/Omega poster. I knew that never comes up on eBay, so I figured it would guarantee interest. It did. A lot of people looked but nobody bid. After his auction, he had several people writing with interest about my poster. Some lowballed him trying to get the books cheaper. He was bummed out and depressed because he needed the money. I said "The books are worth what I said they are, so to put my money where my mouth is... I'll buy them." I did. That's the only reason I own a Unity red. I had only seen a few in Atlanta and my good friends were the ones that owned them. In a way, I'm disappointed that fans got introduced to comics in the 90's and thought Youngblood #1 was going to pay their way through college. I'm also disappointed that I didn't beg my mom and dad to order me a Fantastic Four #1 for $40. If I'd had the money, I could have gotten an Action #1 back then for a few hundred dollars. It's staggering to think I saw it for sale at an affordable rate and now a copy has sold for over a million dollars.
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed out this lot over the weekend. 20 Valiant incentives (including Unity Red, X-O 1/2 gold, and Archer & Armstrong gold) for $136 shipped.

I sniped it at $107 and lost. Still--under $7 per. Wow how times have changed.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220639843485&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about selling off the last of my Valiant books (with the exception of the CGC graded and extremely rare valiant) to make more room in my comic room. LOL. I made a new years resolution to get my collection down by a third of it's size and thus far I think all I've done is grown the collection by 1%. Doh.
gowaltrip
hobbyist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whetteon wrote:
I'm thinking about selling off the last of my Valiant books (with the exception of the CGC graded and extremely rare valiant) to make more room in my comic room. LOL. I made a new years resolution to get my collection down by a third of it's size and thus far I think all I've done is grown the collection by 1%. Doh.

I find when I sell any of my Valiant's it one of the least painful books for me to sell. It's been 20 years since it was at a level of greatness and I honestly want to see what is next or what we can do beyond that. Plus, anytime I want to get back in, they seem relatively easy to get.
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah--the irony of ValiantFans.com is that Valiants have not only been hoarded by those 300 people on the site but also submitted to CGC.

Which means that pre-unity Valiants are the most submitted and slabbed books (and thus, easiest to find in true 9.6/9.8) of the early '90s.
Ibis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg's board helped me realize that the Valiant I liked will never return and because of his board I'm not interested in even seeing the characters again.

The concepts are dated now and I have no interest in reboots or re-imagined versions of the characters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Collection Snapshots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: