Forum Index
Home | Facebook | Twitter | Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 more down

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scout
comic speculator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: 2 more down Reply with quote

Recently picked up two more books to check off my list.

And

I'm finding it easier and easier to stay focused strictly on books that I want for investment purposes (SA keys). In fact I think I recently broke through a mental barrier that was holding me back from staying on target. I just internalized that if I'm actually going to invest in comics I have to start treating them like investments and stop playing around.

If I were buying stocks I wouldn't just randomly buy whatever shiny new thing popped up in front of me. With limited resources I would do my research and buy only what I felt would make a decent return. Same with comics. Doesn't mean I'll always make the right picks, but at least I have a plan. Thumbs Up
Rai-fan
Man of Comic Investing Awesomeness

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause

First off, _great_ books. And I like the balance of a high-grade minor key with a low-grade MEGA-key.

But I think this is also a perfect evolution in collecting that we here at Lyria espouse. If I had any discipline, I'd only buy three books a year, and they would be SA mega-keys (like Hulk 1, or B+B 28) and nothing else.

As it stands, my grad school student loans just kicked in so I may be taking a complete buying sabbatical for awhile (like, a year or two) to pay down that debt.

Hopefully, I won't need to sell any of my really good books or original art pieces, but it's conforting to know that--like that ToS 57 and B+B 28, the liquidity's there and they're worth real money, should you need it.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are awesome!!!!! Frustrated Applause

Love that B&B 28! Wow.

Last edited by whetteon on Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
scout
comic speculator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mean to sidetrack my own thread here, but just thinking that while I'm not a HUGE Hawkeye fan, after seeing the Avengers movie I really got a hankerin' to see them take the character and Bourne-ize him (even though the actor already did a Bourne movie).

Before seeing his portrayal I wouldn't have thought a Hawkeye movie could be possible. But putting him and maybe the Black Widow in a gritty, espionage thriller...now that could be cool.

Just sayin'. Think
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the movie is what made him relevant right now. People warmed up to him. So yeah, probably will be a movie later down the road.
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that's the point, Whet. He was a weak-sauce third-tier character, even with the Avengers movie on the way. But I don't think _anyone_ expected the movie to make him as cool as it did. That they made such a lame character not only relevant but exciting is a tribute to the film's writing.

Same thing with Iron Man 1. Iron Man sucks. He was second-tier at best. But the movie made him a legit A-lister, as did his treatment in the Civil War storyline 6-7 years back. He's almost on-par with Batman now in terms of cultural relevance, and _that_ is a feat.

It's easy to make Batman cool. Much harder to do the same with Iron Man or Hawkeye.
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iron Man was never really 2nd tier. He had a cartoon in the 60's. He was published in 2 comics a month through a good portion of the 60's, 70's and up. He might have suffered from mediocre writing for many years, but that doesn't make him 2nd tier.

I disagree that ANYTHING about Batman is cool. Batman is one of the most LAME concepts for a superhero that I can imagine.
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can agree to disagree on Iron Man. But Batman is about as cool a character as comics have because--like Iron Man--he does what he does without superpowers, but rather with his wits and vast money supply.

And the world agrees, what with a successful 60s TV show, a hugely successful series of cartoons from the 90s to present, and seven blockbuster movies.

Further, Diamond has benchmarked monthly comic sales against Batman since at least 1993. This year--besides having a wicked good storyline written by Scott Snyder, one of the best current writers--it's never fallen before # 4 on the Diamond Top 300, averaging a print run of 140,000 a month when the average book in the top 100 is lucky to hit 35,000.

I'd break them down like this:

First tier (by long-term popularity, sales, etc.): Spider-Man, Batman, X-Men, Superman, Wolverine, etc., maybe Walking Dead (for real).

Second Tier: Avengers, Captain America, Iron Man, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Flash, etc.

Third Tier: Moon Knight, Atom, Dr. Strange, Hawkman. GI Joe (easy test--can they sustain a monthly book since their introduction or have they been cancelled multiple times?)

Fourth Tier: Most Image, Valiant, Vertigo. Either incredibly niche or the general public would have no idea who it is.
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avengers? 2nd tier? It was the hottest back issue collectible for Marvel prior to X-Men becoming hot. Your perspective is based upon when you started collecting, but I have no problem agreeing to disagree.

I'll concede that Batman is unbelievably popular. Whatever fascination people have for him, I don't share it. I guess the fact that he's a regular guy that could be taken out by any sniper attack just makes his comic a joke to me. I actually prefer the campy stories when it comes to Batman.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Collection Snapshots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: