Forum Index
Home | Facebook | Twitter | Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rai-fan's foreign Magnus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
define999
hobbyist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ibis wrote:
I'd be willing to bet that MagnusR has them.
He's from Sweden and a big Magnus fan.

oops sorry Ibis, I wasn't as clear as I needed to be... I meant not many North American Magnus collectors probably have the Dutch books... Confused

Id love to see some Magnus issues shown off in a issue specific way.... a large Magnus #1 set would be pretty awesome to attempt to build... Think

View my massive comic related links page here...
http://comicbookcollection.webs.com/apps/links/
Rai-fan
Man of Comic Investing Awesomeness

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:0 Thanks so much, Define!!

Yeah--I'll probably end up making a website to showcase my Magnus collection, as I now have up to three versions of specific issues, and the CGC registry's only set up to allow two photos per comic.

The Magnus 10 is probably the most interesting, since I've now got the sole U.S. 9.8; it's worthy of the interior page showing Walt Simonson's first published work (age 11, I believe), and I've also got Spanish and French language versions.

This whole thing just started as an experiment to see if I could build a "world's best" set of some Silver Age series on a beer budget. I'll never be able afford the best slabbed run of a more mainstream title like Daredevil or even Nick Fury, but I'm really proud of the Magnus set I've been able to build in less than 3 years.

And when a 1973 (10 year later) French version of Magnus 1 costs less than $10 shipped, that's just cool Smile
define999
hobbyist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellz yea…. less than 10 shipped is really really cool! And further illustrates the enrichment foreigns can add to collections. All while not breaking the bank too, which I think helps many of us without deep pockets. The foreign books can also lead to other very important values like friendships, cultural, and societal value. Applause

Cannot wait to see the Magnus #1 set! A website is the best way to do this I think…. Maximum amount of eyes while still remaining as anonymous as you want to be. Think

I am glad you have been bitten by the foreign bug Rai. Welcome to the tribe sir! Ill pm you details on shipping soon……
Thumbs Up

Rai-fan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rai-fan

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another huge win for me today:

High-grade Mexican Magnus # 2. I believe this gives me Mexican Magnus # 1-13, inclusive!

whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applause
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found another good source from Argentina. Landed Mexican Magnus # 14 and some upgrades (# 6 and # 8 in high-grade).

I now have a solid run of Mexican Magnus # 1-20, and am missing only issues 21-23 from an otherwise-solid set of # 1-28.

whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me or does that Magnus look a little Latino in the last book? Think Probably just me.

Great books as always Rai. Applause

You know, Magnus was a really cool idea and I'm not sure why it hasn't taken. It is after all about man vs machine.
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 more today: Mexican Magnus # 21!

Given that # 22's a reprint of issue # 1 and I'm not sure if there are reprints of 29+ (which themselves are all reprints of earlier versions), I think this means I'm now missing only the Mexican reprint of Magnus # 23 for a full run (1-28)!
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suprised

You're going to have the Best of Set for Magnus this year for sure man! Applause
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, could you post a link to your set on the CGC collecting website? I wouldn't mind just flipping through your collection. Thumbs Up

And as Define999 once mentioned, as competition for the American version of comics continues to heat up, collectors will turn to foreign variants in order to gain more points and thus have the better set on CGC. Nice that you are hitting this earlier Rai-Fan. I should be chasing down #Amazing Spider-Man #300 variants with a little more extreme prejudice.
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to the photo gallery. It's not done yet, but the goal is to have the slabbed U.S. version on the left and the foreign variant on the right.

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/SetGallery.aspx?PeopleSetID=44535

Don't misunderstand--I don't think these foreign variants will ever make me rich; rather, I've just gotten to the point where only one of the 11 U.S. Magnus books I need in 9.4+ has shown up for sale in the last 20 months. This was simply my way of branching out as I wait for another of those 11 issues to surface.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think only a handful of foreign variants will ever catch on but at the same time it feels like a good way to keep collecting what you already own as yourself have mentioned. You can extend your collection without having to buy multiple copies of the same thing. I find the whole foreign variant craze interesting.

Thanks for the link by the way. Thumbs Up
define999
hobbyist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whetteon wrote:
By the way, could you post a link to your set on the CGC collecting website? I wouldn't mind just flipping through your collection. Thumbs Up

And as Define999 once mentioned, as competition for the American version of comics continues to heat up, collectors will turn to foreign variants in order to gain more points and thus have the better set on CGC. Nice that you are hitting this earlier Rai-Fan. I should be chasing down #Amazing Spider-Man #300 variants with a little more extreme prejudice.

Yea, the catch to some of this though is getting the sets updated on CGC. Without the updated set list I dont think you can get the points. Also the foreign book will have to be slabbed.... Confused But I think as more and more sets get updated with foreign versions you will start to also see set makers start to chase the foreign books simply because CGC says thier set is not complete! Its a funny circular cycle. Laughing

define999
hobbyist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rai-fan wrote:
Here's a link to the photo gallery. It's not done yet, but the goal is to have the slabbed U.S. version on the left and the foreign variant on the right.

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/SetGallery.aspx?PeopleSetID=44535

Don't misunderstand--I don't think these foreign variants will ever make me rich; rather, I've just gotten to the point where only one of the 11 U.S. Magnus books I need in 9.4+ has shown up for sale in the last 20 months. This was simply my way of branching out as I wait for another of those 11 issues to surface.

Nice gallery Rai! Hey those DUtch Magnus made it safe and sound? I cant remember if I asked you that already? Confused

Also, foreigns will never bring the kind of money in general the American books will. But, I do believe like Whett said certain gems within the vast amount of foreign books are going to turn into must haves for more and more collectors. Im sorry but when a foreign cover does a key issue better as far as art goes? Well certain hardcores could be persuaded to drop some serious coin for those issues.

2 issues I think where the foreign publisher did a better job with the art!

This one is up for debate... but I think the more vivid/pastel-ly coloring coupled with a less cluttered cover look pushes the Ebal version of the 227 over the American for me.

Think about this.... if Neal Adams sold signed posters of both his classic 227 and the EBAL one? I bet many a EBAL 227 poster would sell at his booth! Collectors love novelty.....

And the 300 is a no brainer in my book! The 300 clutters the classic American black outfit circle horribly in my opinion. I have showed many a Mcfarlane disciple the Italian 300 and many, many, many of them make the exact same comment! "Oh sheeeeet, thats sooooo cool" "I want one, where do I find one!"

If a dealer had a raw or cgc'd copy on his wall at a show and a quick Ebay American search on thier smartphone showed not a single result for a showgoer? Well I wonder how many hard core spidey collectors wouldn't find some cash in thier wallets to pick this up at a show. Especially when a dealer talks it up about how hard it is to find one. Think

With more awareness, will come higher prices paid for certain key and unique foreign books..... its just a matter of time as more American eyes peep certain must have foreign books.

Sorry for highjacking your thread Rai.... the mods can delete this post after a while no problem! Thumbs Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Collection Snapshots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: