Forum Index
Home | Facebook | Twitter | Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lscomics collection of foreign editions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lscomics
market noob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some Filipino Tagalog stuff I picked up.

whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quasar guest staring the Aquarian? Really? Marvel's not even trying in that issue. Let us just call it for who he really is - Aquaman. Rolling Eyes

That Spectacular Spider-Man is pretty dope. Where do those comics from from?
lscomics
market noob

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whetteon wrote:
Quasar guest staring the Aquarian? Really? Marvel's not even trying in that issue. Let us just call it for who he really is - Aquaman. Rolling Eyes

That Spectacular Spider-Man is pretty dope. Where do those comics from from?
They're from the Philippines. About the only cool thing about the Quasar is it has an ad inside for Tagalog editions of Harbinger #1 and X-O #1. Laughing
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lscomics wrote:
Ibis wrote:
I read your posts and I like seeing foreign editions. I just think it's a bad time to jump on the bandwagon so I'm not buying them and posting my own scans. I was searching for stuff like this when nobody was talking about it.
1) If you look at the potential for increase in value now is the time to be buying these books. The market for them is in it's infancy and the growth potential is huge.
2) What's the time frame you're referring to here? I've been collecting foreign books for about 5 years give or take. How long ago do you consider to be "when nobody was talking about it."?

I don't like seeing a foreign edition of the first Punisher pop up in a thread about Amazing Spider-Man #129. It is not the same book. It's a reprint. For many consumers it is unreadable.
You're right that it's not the same book and endless posting of foreign books can be, I'm sure, frustrating or at least annoying to those that aren't into them. I disagree though that they're just reprints. There are too many instances to count when it comes to foreign books where editorial changes were made to adapt them to the markets they were printed for to simply write them off as reprints.

Your thread is definitely cool. Unfortunately, too many people dropping scans about foreign editions into threads about the US versions comes across as thread crapping to me. I don't have a problem with people expressing themselves and being proud of what they collect, but it has begun to jade me in general towards even commenting about foreign comics online. I think the excitement is making too many foreign comic collectors post their great finds in the wrong places.
There's no need to make vague mention of the behavior of one poster in particular on the CGC boards. We both know who you're talking about - solarcadet 1. There's no question that he tends to post in an overzealous fashion and should take into account that not everyone cares about foreign books. He without a doubt enjoys sharing this aspect of the hobby with others but doesn't realize there's a certain socially accepted protocol for posting on message boards.

I'm a bit of a comics historian/archivist collecting info. I'd LOVE to see foreign galleries posted with all the consecutive issues adjacent in a nice format. I haven't been excited by the galleries I see posted in a blog format. I've tinkered with trying to make that work myself, and I was never pleased with it. Again, this dissuades me from making comments.
Have you looked at my site? http://myforeigncomics.webs.com It's not perfect by any means and there's still things I'm planning on changing but overall I think it's one of the better sites of it's kind.

By all means your thread is great.

Here's my analogy.
I like Coca-Cola. I'll buy it. I drink it. I don't shake it up before I try to drink it because it'll explode and go everywhere. I won't enjoy the experience at that point.

When I see your thread, I open it and I enjoy it. I don't comment a lot because I feel that is like shaking up a soft drink. I don't want to see posts about foreign comics everywhere I go on comic messageboards. I want the enjoyment to be confined to the parameters of where I look to see this kind of content.
I appreciate your input. Thumbs Up Don't assume though that just because you comment on a foreign book/books someone posts they're going to bombard every thread out there with pics. Most people in this niche understand your perspective and have a modicum of self-control. Laughing

My interest in foreign comics dates back to the 70's. My friend's mom went on vacation and brought back a few for both of us.

I've always been interested, but they were impossible to find in stores here. I don't buy online, but I was searching eBay for this stuff 10 years ago. I'm not just interested in reformatted stuff. I like anything unusual that you don't see as often.

German..

Indian...

UK..

Japanese (Sold through Diamond)

Italian..

I think the foreign comics market is has gotten enough notoriety that sellers can sit back and name their price. Especially on anything with a familiar cover. Those are not conditions I want when I pursue a collection. For me, they have always been novelty purchases. Can deals be located? Definitely. Is it going to explode? In many ways it already has. It's at a stage now where people are still exploring. The market isn't really set. When people get the collection they want... will they keep them or try to cash out? The long term success of the market depends upon people really wanting to keep them.

Many of the foreign comics are reprints in some form or another. This is less true if you collect comics within the past 25 years. An Australian Incredible Hulk from the 90's was published at Sullivan in Alabama alongside the US version. Either way, many are reprints. My generation scorned reprints. I don't get excited missing the first train and then catching the second one.

I'm pretty sure "Solarcadet 1" is not the only one dropping scans in unrelated threads. I don't always pay attention to who is posting, but I'm pretty sure there are a a handful of others posting off topic also. It's a byproduct of enthusiasm. That's why I don't respond because I feel the fans are enthusiastic enough.

Yes, I've seen your site. It is one of the better sites I've seen, but I hate the blog style format. I prefer more of a complete gallery by title and not sets of books divided by a theme or artist. I don't like the indexing format for blog content. The page also doesn't view right on my computer due to some unknown error. I access the web through a very filtered connection. A plugin or setting on my end could be screwing up the template.

I've posted on the topic before. I like foreign comics, but I lack the same level of enthusiasm as the newer wave of fan. I'm not going to pay hundreds of dollars for a high grade copy of a familiar cover. It impresses me when I see one, but they'll always be more of a novelty to me.
Mijael77
hobbyist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually post foreigns in the "please spare me a grade " i hope that section is not only for US titles.
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mijael77 wrote:
I usually post foreigns in the "please spare me a grade " i hope that section is not only for US titles.

I wouldn't think so. I don't usually read those sections anyway. I've encouraged you to flip non-US comics, so I don't want people to think I get annoyed. I'm just less likely to read a post if it's out of place or read a thread if I know people are posting it in a category where I don't think it belongs. I went 2 or 3 days without reading the entire CGC forum and when I revisited it, none of the active conversations interested me enough to post. Maybe one, but that's not a good percentage.
rustystaples
hobbyist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have not looked through the thread in detail, but seeing whetteon's thoughtful post above I thought I would share my thoughts about foreign comics as well. I have seen them posted here and there over the last couple of years, but I also think they are much different than the US counterparts. I have picked up a couple of foreign editions while abroad just as a novelty. The closer they are to the US format the more interested in them I would be. For example, I have an Italian one that holds like a trade paperback, being a collected edition of a few American edition, which I don't really count as a comic book.

I am interested in all aspects of comic printing however and I do get a kick of seeing Superman speak Spanish. I'd be interested to read articles about comics in particular countries.

One thing that has piqued my interest lately are original comic properties started in foreign countries. This area I do think has a lot of potential, and if I had the opportunity to buy this stuff I'd definitely consider it. Things like Nelvana of the Northern lights or Darna. I've been fascinated by the little I've come to know about Mars Ravelo.

Last edited by rustystaples on Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
lscomics
market noob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see why in some cases you would consider them reprints and there's no questioning that some of them are just that, like the early Marvel stuff from Germany in the late 1990s. When it comes to something like the La Prensa or Novaro books from Mexico though you'll never be able to convince me that it's a reprint. Those books were hitting the stands anywhere from 3 to 6 months after the US editions. If nothing else they would be simply Mexican editions but not reprints. As an example a novel originally published in England followed by it's US release within 6 months to a year. The US one wouldn't be a reprint but the first US edition. I believe the same thing applies to many of the foreign books out there. Two Cents
lscomics
market noob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a couple of things that came in over the last few days...

ASM #102/103 from Spain. There might be a #101 on it's way too. At least that's what I heard.

One of those those original Spideys from Mexico.

Iron Man #54/55 from Spain. It took me about 2 years to find any copy of this book. It's rough, loose cover, pages in danger of becoming loose, but it's the only one I've seen.

Huge props to our very own Gonza_Arana (Manuel) for this one, I owe you for this one. (worship) This brings me to only needing 2 more House of Mystery books to finish the run.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All key books in their own right.
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled across a nice blog for South African comics.

http://southafricancomicbooks.blogspot.com/

With regards to original comic properties started in foreign countries, I'd really like to own a set of Mighty Man or some of the photo picture novels like Vice Squad that are featured on that blog. It appears that most everything on the blog is extremely rare, even the Marvel content.

df1
lscomics
market noob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ibis wrote:

With regards to original comic properties started in foreign countries, I'd really like to own a set of Mighty Man or some of the photo picture novels like Vice Squad that are featured on that blog. It appears that most everything on the blog is extremely rare, even the Marvel content.

df1
The Supercomix stuff from South Africa is incredibly hard to find. There are hard-core collectors of them there and when they get their hands on them they won't let them go even when crazy prices are offered.

George, the guy who did that blog, wrote a feature article for FCC that will be running in issue #3. It'll be online March 10th.
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lscomics wrote:
Ibis wrote:

df1
The Supercomix stuff from South Africa is incredibly hard to find. There are hard-core collectors of them there and when they get their hands on them they won't let them go even when crazy prices are offered.

George, the guy who did that blog, wrote a feature article for FCC that will be running in issue #3. It'll be online March 10th.

I'm gathering scans for a Charlton checklist, so it was interesting to see that they reprinted Charlton comics such as Popeye and Blondie.
lscomics
market noob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ibis wrote:
lscomics wrote:
Ibis wrote:

df1

I'm gathering scans for a Charlton checklist, so it was interesting to see that they reprinted Charlton comics such as Popeye and Blondie.
As far as we know George knows more about the Supercomix books than anyone but there's not a database of what all they printed and they weren't always done in sequence. Much like the Filipino books it's a bit of a surprise every time one pops up that we haven't seen before.
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lscomics wrote:
Ibis wrote:
lscomics wrote:
Ibis wrote:

df1

As far as we know George knows more about the Supercomix books than anyone but there's not a database of what all they printed and they weren't always done in sequence. Much like the Filipino books it's a bit of a surprise every time one pops up that we haven't seen before.

Another checklist I'm creating are the Canadian EC reprints done by Superior in the 1950's. These are so rare and scorned by American buyers, that no real list had been compiled. When I initially spoke with collectors, it was believed that Superior just printed random issues from the American titles. After starting my list, I'd say it's a safe bet that they printed everything that EC was printing for a span of several years or more.

One thing I liked on George's blog (with relation to Charlton) is that he showed the South African comic next to the American comics and made predictions of what should exist based upon the scans he had or didn't have. Sometimes the lack of information makes people think foreign publishers release product chaotically. That's not always true.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Collection Snapshots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: