Forum Index
Home | Facebook | Twitter | Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whet's Quick Reference of CGC books
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madcircle
market noob

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I always had a soft spot for Scud. Maybe I will get his books slabbed. I have #1-13.
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madcircle wrote:
Also, I always had a soft spot for Scud. Maybe I will get his books slabbed. I have #1-13.

I had a friend who liked Scud and was telling me how great it was. I just never got into it.
Madcircle
market noob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scud, Stray Bullets and Poison Elves were very cool books in the early 90's.
Rai-fan
Man of Comic Investing Awesomeness

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about Poison Elves!

For a few years, that series was primed to be the next TMNT.

(Seriously -- it had a B+W LOTR adventure vibe -- easily could have become a TV series a la Game of Thrones or The Walking Dead).

I remember ComicFest '95 in Philly -- I turned down a Bone # 1 first print for $50 -- but told my best friend to buy it instead as an investment (like me, he didn't like the style of art, and passed).

For my big purchase at the show I debated long and hard between All Star Western # 10 (first Jonah Hex) in NM ($45) vs. I, Lusiphur # 1 (first Poison Elves) in NM ($45).

As it turns out, Drew Hayes died a few years later and Poison Elves basically died with him.

I ended up selling that copy of All Star Western 10 here on this very message board for $270.

Made the right choice -- and it's guided me since -- picking the older, steady book over the new hot indie every time.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Made the right choice -- and it's guided me since -- picking the older, steady book over the new hot indie every time.

And that's the right message!
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought Poison Elves #1 (Sirius) and multiples of Stray Bullets when it came out. Those I understood. Scud just never appealed to me. Someone had gotten on eBay and was saying that Drew Hayes was dead before he was actually dead. It was very strange. They said they were a family member.
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never got into Stray Bullets.

I liked Lapham at Valiant -- Magnus # 5 was the first actual back issue of Valiant I ever bought and his work on Rai was awesome (hence, why I'm Rai-fan).

(I came in with Unity and issue # 15, although I immediately bought out my friends one-month-before-Unity pile for $.25 below cover -- included Solar # 11, Magnus # 12, Rai 5, and X-O # 6).

I actually looked through the first Stray Bullets at a comic shop two weeks ago. Still doesn't appeal -- don't like the cartoony style.

Much prefer 100 Bullets for the same type of stories (albeit in color).
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rai-fan wrote:
I never got into Stray Bullets.

I liked Lapham at Valiant -- Magnus # 5 was the first actual back issue of Valiant I ever bought and his work on Rai was awesome (hence, why I'm Rai-fan).

(I came in with Unity and issue # 15, although I immediately bought out my friends one-month-before-Unity pile for $.25 below cover -- included Solar # 11, Magnus # 12, Rai 5, and X-O # 6).

I actually looked through the first Stray Bullets at a comic shop two weeks ago. Still doesn't appeal -- don't like the cartoony style.

Much prefer 100 Bullets for the same type of stories (albeit in color).

We are actually in agreement.

I gave Stray Bullets a chance when it was new and I liked it for a limited period because of the stories. Eventually, it didn't go anywhere and I gave up by the time the Amy Racecar Color Special came out. It doesn't interest me anymore because of the art. I too dislike the cartoon-like art. If Rembrandt had spent his life drawing like Scott Adams (Dilbert), then he'd never have been remembered. When it came out, it was different and entertaining. Not so much anymore. I just hate to see artist sabotage their careers by not putting out the best quality that they can. I guess when you are supporting yourself off of a self-published title and have little or no back-up support (inkers, letterers etc.), you have to pump out the material as fast as you can and compromises creep in and it becomes the norm.
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel the same way about the evolution of Frank Miller's art.

Daredevil and his original Batman work (Year One and Dark Knight Returns) was great.

The stylized turn he took beginning with Sin City and 300 really irks me.

Ditto JRJR.

Great early work on ASM, Uncanny X-Men and Iron Man.

By the early 90s, I couldn't stand his stylized work on books like Punisher War Zone and X-Men. Compare X-Men 210-211 to X-Men # 300. Like two different people.
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed!

One of Jim Shooter's unrecognized talents in managing a comics line was pairing new or weak artists with proficient and capable inkers. Frank Miller was a new and weak penciler, so Jim had Klaus Janson ink his Daredevil work. Frank Miller was a genius at perspective and layout, but it was Klaus Janson who brought that to life and made it shine. I lost interest in Frank Millers work when he did Ronin. I dropped off the bandwagon as a fan much earlier that you. A good inker means everything with Frank Miller's art.

Who inked early JRJr art? Bob Layton, one of the best inkers in the business. Maybe he's not the best writer, penciler, or head of a company, but I will not dispute his talent as an inker.

Would Steve Ditko art sell a mainstream comic today? Probably not. The Shadowman page of art I own is Diitko pencils inked by Gonzalo Mayo, a heavy competent inker. Jim Shooter knew what each contributor was bringing to the page. He got the genius of Ditko's storytelling with the crispness of Gonzalo mayo's inking.

Even with superstars like Neal Adams, inking makes all of the difference in the world. Compare X-Men #56 with Tom Palmer inking Neal Adams to any comic where Neal inked his own work. It's a night and day difference in quality... even for one of the greats.

If you want to see the best pairing with the best, pick up the Marvel Premiere #47 with Bob Layton inking George Perez. Jim must have been trying to boost sales on that title. The art is stunning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Collection Snapshots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: