Forum Index
Home | Facebook | Twitter | Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Investment Club idea
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Berkshire Hathaway for Comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaronchua
hobbyist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a personal level I agree. However, for a joint investment, 3 years is a long time for the group to stay together. Who know what will happen.
Mijael77
hobbyist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 years is ok for a long term investment. But right now we should start with a test ( short investment) $200 - $300 book. If you think its a good idea i already made a list with my sugestions on this thread . You could make your sugestions and we could vote . The idea is to invest $50 or $60 and try to double it in some months
rustystaples
hobbyist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the 3 year window, I don't think it would be hard to pick a book that would rise in value fast enough to kick in a "sell clause" long before the 3 years is up.

I would ask myself, what are the goals of this that I could not achieve on my own? "To have fun" might be the only answer, which would be fine. From what I've seen on these boards people seem to be doing quite well on their own.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of us have been on these forums for over 10 years. We started with a few books and a general idea of what might be trending in 10 years and here we are in 2014 with a decent stash. I don't believe 3 years is unreasonable. In fact, it makes it feel more legit. A time frame of 6 months makes me think "flipping" and I'm not sure I'm as excited to flip comics. I can do that on my own.

But starting with something a little more simpler is a great idea. I'm behind you Mijael. Here's the list to try:

- Sandman 1 9.8
- Ms. Marvel 1 9.6
- Marvel Feature 1 8.5 or 9.0
- Tales of Teen Titans 44 9.8
- Preacher 1 9.6 or 9.8
- Star wars 42 9.8 or 9.6

And how about Fantastic Four #52 9.0 since we're already discussing this on the website elsewhere?
ferdelance
hobbyist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whetteon wrote:
Many of us have been on these forums for over 10 years. We started with a few books and a general idea of what might be trending in 10 years and here we are in 2014 with a decent stash. I don't believe 3 years is unreasonable. In fact, it makes it feel more legit. A time frame of 6 months makes me think "flipping" and I'm not sure I'm as excited to flip comics. I can do that on my own.

But starting with something a little more simpler is a great idea. I'm behind you Mijael. Here's the list to try:

- Sandman 1 9.8
- Ms. Marvel 1 9.6
- Preacher 1 9.6 or 9.8

And how about Fantastic Four #52 9.0 since we're already discussing this on the website elsewhere?

Thumbs Up
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's all think of books and post our picks later today or early tomorrow.
Ibis
Man of Comic Investing Awesomeness

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll bow out of this conversation because I've already stated that an investment club doesn't interest me.

I will say that it usually takes about 10 years for a book to cycle as follows:

1) Become a key (1st appearance, significant event, etc.)
2) Become well known (usually it has a stint as being "hot")
3) Become forgotten (essentially taken for granted)
4) Become sentimental ("Hmmm! I wouldn't mind having that.")
5) Become hot again. ("Hmm! Everyone else thinks it's cool too. I'd better get it now!")
6) Become established. (Unquestionably a key!)

Stage #1 is a risky level at which to gamble. If a hero makes a first appearance and it's interesting, they might kill him and never use him again. You can buy a lot of duds before something great pans out.

Stage #2 is the riskiest level at which to gamble. Think Magnus #12 from Valiant. You are probably going to pay a premium for the book and it's near term potential is straight down in price.

Stage #3 is relatively safe. The book has cooled down. It's off people's radar. You can hype it online and try to spark stage #4. You can buy hoards because it's significance is pretty obvious at this point.

Stage 4 can potentially be the best time to invest because buzz is developing. If you buy early, it's great. The longer you wait, the price starts going up and it's less of an increase.

Stage #5 is a bad time to invest. The book has already increased at huge proportions.

Stage #6 is the book just riding the ebb and flow of popularity. Sometimes good, sometimes bad, but no exciting changes. The stronger the key, the better the investment at this point.

Short term investing needs to be at the beginning of stage #4. That'd be a 3 year "flip" at max. You'd really need to watch the market because 3 years might be too long.

Long term investing needs to happen at stage #3 or before. You know it's key at stage #1. You know it's proven itself at stage #2. It's just needs a spark to ignite a frenzy of people wanting it again. By stage #3, a certain percentage are locked down in old people's collections and off the market. A new generation of collectors will be in the market to buy it.

Rarity magnifies all of the above. NM #98 doesn't excite me. I'd rather have another Moon Knight #55 over NM#98. If the spark ignites, MK#55 is going to be more resistant to drop. That's not even a good example, because MK#55 isn't really a key. It was just a significant change in art and popularity.

An investment club might be better suited for strong stage 6 books that are outside a casual investor's budget. The market is small, and you are making one more unavailable. You are targeting customers who have more disposable income than you and improving the potential quality of the consumer in which you will ultimately sell comics to.
Ibis
Man of Comic Investing Awesomeness

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a PM on the CGC board from the guy who came up with this idea. He wanted me to attend a gathering of collectors later in the month. I'd already told him I wasn't interested when we met in person. I just deleted the PM.

He was probably at last Saturday's comics show, but I didn't go. A friend of mine went and gave me a bad review of it.
Mijael77
hobbyist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferdelance wrote:
whetteon wrote:

- Sandman 1 9.8
- Ms. Marvel 1 9.6
- Preacher 1 9.6 or 9.8

Thumbs Up

From all your investments wich are great by the way , in my humble opinion i think this is the wisest . Boba Fett is not only a great character; he is a cult character and there´s a rumor about a movie . The true first app is in Marvel Super special magazine # 16 but the market is aiming for this one.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll dig it. I'm in for both #16 & 42. So that's two votes. Maybe our fund manager, Mijael77, could break down the prices for CGC 9.8's and when he intends to purchase and when he intends to sell it. Than you would have to see how many are interested and divide the cost.

Thumbs Up
Mijael77
hobbyist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whetteon wrote:
I'll dig it. I'm in for both #16 & 42. So that's two votes. Maybe our fund manager, Mijael77, could break down the prices for CGC 9.8's and when he intends to purchase and when he intends to sell it. Than you would have to see how many are interested and divide the cost.

Thumbs Up

Star wars 42 9.8 - last gpa $250 For the 9.6 last gpa someone

Very Happy paid $104 yesterday Wink

About the #16 magazine , i paid $16 for a raw 9.2 ...

When we could sell it? not soon , because i dont know about the Disney plans, maybe they want first to introduce new market with chapter Vll

In the other hand if we want to cash out sooner how about Sandman 1 ? We already know that Joseph Gordon levitt will be the leading actor , INMO he looks like Morpheus and he is a great actor!. We have historical data with Sandman . When Sandman got hot in 2007 a 9.8 could be sold in $500 - $700 . Last GPA now is $300 and we can find easily one @ ebay. It could break the $700 record with the movie.

I am not the best person to buy it because i live in Mexico ,shipping cost are very high Sad , so in my opinion the boock should be purchased in the USA .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Berkshire Hathaway for Comics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: