Forum Index
Home | Facebook | Twitter | Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spam

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ibis
Man of Comic Investing Awesomeness

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject: Spam Reply with quote

I've been dealing with a persistent spammer from Indonesia on my new board. Proboards upgraded to software that I detest. I've started a new one with a different host. I've had to recreate and expand my IP block list. I added Indonesia as one of the countries I now block. It's evidently a new hub for cybercrime. I've also learned that a site now offers a script to allow you to mine bitcoins. I think it's likely that spammers and phishers will now be less malicious in their attacks. If they can lure you to a site that siphons your CPU to mine bitcoins for them, they may start directing you to actual content that interests people.
My recent spammer has been using temporary email services to register for my board. I've added a redirect script that identifies those domains and he's redirected to a site of my choice if he tries to activate his account. I was tempted to host a web page with scripts that'll kill his browser. I could redirect him there, but I've decided to play nice. I'm actually having a little fun retracing his methods.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Spam Reply with quote

Ibis wrote:
I've been dealing with a persistent spammer from Indonesia on my new board. Proboards upgraded to software that I detest. I've started a new one with a different host. I've had to recreate and expand my IP block list. I added Indonesia as one of the countries I now block. It's evidently a new hub for cybercrime. I've also learned that a site now offers a script to allow you to mine bitcoins. I think it's likely that spammers and phishers will now be less malicious in their attacks. If they can lure you to a site that siphons your CPU to mine bitcoins for them, they may start directing you to actual content that interests people.
My recent spammer has been using temporary email services to register for my board. I've added a redirect script that identifies those domains and he's redirected to a site of my choice if he tries to activate his account. I was tempted to host a web page with scripts that'll kill his browser. I could redirect him there, but I've decided to play nice. I'm actually having a little fun retracing his methods.

Think

Time for a new ip block. Sigh.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI so nobody panics:

I just deleted about 30 accounts in which users either signed up and never returned or signed up and returned once on the day they signed up. A few of these accounts looked to be spam created so it was nice to purge them out of the membership. I'll might be looking even harder here in a bit for more hidden spam accounts.
Brother J
market noob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newest user "cheapgold" is a spammer! Rolling Eyes
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. Thumbs Up
sd2416
Maintenance

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brother J wrote:

I deleted him and his post.

SD2416 Kudos Thread

Comic Hub's eBay Store
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sd2416 wrote:
Brother J wrote:

I deleted him and his post.

Yeah, I figured. Laughing Thanks sd2416.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Technical Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: