Forum Index
Home | Facebook | Twitter | Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aaron portfolio tracking
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Berkshire Hathaway for Comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaronchua
hobbyist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Aaron portfolio tracking Reply with quote

Believe it or not, I actually manage my comics by portfolio. These are group by themes or particularly issues if I am hoarding. Currently, I have 9 main ones but showing them all will be a bit too much.

So, below is 2 of them. Portfolio 1 is the confirmed or highly likely marvel movies related issues. I didn't anticipate far enough for these and have overpaid for some of them. Hopefully, they will appreciate beyond my purchase price. I didn't put in other minor spec issues like the Echo and Typhoid Mary. If these minor issues take off, it will be a bonus that I can add here.

Expected = amount of cash I hope to get back
Total = expected + fees + shipping. It is the eventual selling price I need to unload if I am to recover my expected prices. The Shipping cost here is the portion that I have to absorb to make it cheaper for overseas customer.

The % shows the current value vs 'total'.

Last edited by aaronchua on Thu May 08, 2014 4:21 am; edited 4 times in total
aaronchua
hobbyist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portfolio 2 is mainly my DC TV speculation list. Includes characters that has appeared or will be appearing in Arrow and Flash. Currently this portfolio is saved by the explosion of TTT #44.

whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suprised Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause
skynet
market noob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think
aaronchua
hobbyist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, looking at your own portfolio can be depressing especially when they have not appreciate to your expected levels. Laughing

When you guys buy books for investment, how do you keep the faith and hold them for long term?
Mijael77
hobbyist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expected is the "expected price you want to sell ?" When the book reach that level you start selling the book?
aaronchua
hobbyist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expected is what I am hoping to get back. I need to factor in the fees and shipping so column 'total' is the price that I need to sell at.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaronchua wrote:
Sometimes, looking at your own portfolio can be depressing especially when they have not appreciate to your expected levels. Laughing

When you guys buy books for investment, how do you keep the faith and hold them for long term?

I usually buy keys so I hold onto them until I'm shocked to hear how much they are selling for and than I unload them. But that said I have sold many a comic at a lost when my collection has changed focus or I'm trying to scale back. So I suppose the answer to your question would be 2-5 years.
skynet
market noob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

finally i found this thread again. was looking for it like crazy over the last hour Laughing
skynet
market noob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Aaron portfolio tracking Reply with quote

aaronchua wrote:
Believe it or not, I actually manage my comics by portfolio. These are group by themes or particularly issues if I am hoarding. Currently, I have 9 main ones but showing them all will be a bit too much.

So, below is 2 of them. Portfolio 1 is the confirmed or highly likely marvel movies related issues. I didn't anticipate far enough for these and have overpaid for some of them. Hopefully, they will appreciate beyond my purchase price. I didn't other minor spec issues like the Echo and Typhoid Mary. If these minor issues take off, it will be a bonus that I can add here.

Expected = amount of cash I hope to get back
Total = expected + fees + shipping. It is the eventual selling price I need to unload if I am to recover my expected prices. The Shipping cost here is the portion that I have to absorb make it cheaper for overseas customer.

The % shows the current value vs 'total'.

thanks for this im actually doing it now myself.

questions:
1. if you have a 2nd to the nth copy of the same book which is also in the same condition and price, i just need to combine them in the "no. of copies". correct?

2. related to number 2, since ill be combining multiple copies with similar grades/price, i need to adjust my total also to reflect all said copies. right?
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to start your spreadsheet and take a screen shot so we can post it here in this forum!
aaronchua
hobbyist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my spreadsheet, I multiply 'expected' and 'shipping' with 'no of copy'. In the event that I have more than 1 copy, I just need to change that column and the rest of the number will auto-adjust. Total will just be the summation of 'expected', 'fees' and 'shipping'.
carey18
hobbyist

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaronchua wrote:
In my spreadsheet, I multiply 'expected' and 'shipping' with 'no of copy'. In the event that I have more than 1 copy, I just need to change that column and the rest of the number will auto-adjust. Total will just be the summation of 'expected', 'fees' and 'shipping'.

Wow that's fantastic as I hadn't seen this thread before. I only have mine written down and compared to that, this is so well ordered. The 'expected' column is something I should adopt Think
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carey18 wrote:
aaronchua wrote:

Wow that's fantastic as I hadn't seen this thread before. I only have mine written down and compared to that, this is so well ordered. The 'expected' column is something I should adopt Think

Agreed. I have a very detailed spreadsheet but even than aaronchua taught me some new stuff.

Question, how often do you move comics that you already sold off the list? I ask because I have every comics purchased and sold since 2007 and after 7 years of buying and selling I have a large file. I would like to "archive" past sells but I'm not sure how or when.

Think
aaronchua
hobbyist

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answer to that is to do so through the portfolio.

If you noticed, I group investment into portfolios that mostly have a definite timeline, like how most funds have a fund life. In my case, it has to do with movie show times and such.

For example, the comics in portfolio 1 tend to reach their peak during 2015 so I imagine that is when I would have sold most of the stuff and retired the portfolio. Hence, you can say that is when I can archived this particular portfolio and move on to the next.

Last edited by aaronchua on Sat May 10, 2014 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Berkshire Hathaway for Comics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: