Forum Index
Home | Facebook | Twitter | Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The 5 year rule (Marvel) comic list

View previous topic :: View next topic  
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: The 5 year rule (Marvel) comic list Reply with quote

So we here at Lyria suggest NOT to buy any new comic with a 1st app until the character has had an opportunity to be judged by the collecting community and deemed worthy of sticking around.

This is simply known as the 5 year rule and it's important. Mostly because there are agents in our industry who's sole purpose is to get you excited about the latest super-hero and/or super-villain, sell you the comic, the variants, action figures, collectible plush toys everything else under the sun before they and everyone move on to the next 1st app. Many in our hobby refer to this as "PUMP AND DUMP".

Why do these agents do this? Because they make money on YOU. They buy a comic for $5 and sell it to you for $25 . Thus a rule was born to wait 5 years and see if the character is still important and to save our money from finding their way into these jerks pockets.

So with this in mind lets look at 1st appearances of characters who have been out in the community for 5 or more years.

Captain Marvel #14 - 1st Ms. Marvel (Kamala Khan)
Interest has waned but the fact that she still has a comic series is worth noting. Worth buying at the right price.

The Amazing Spider-Man #692 - 1st Alpha :
Remember this dude? Sure you don't. Because he stunk and was gone in a few months. He's Pump and Dump Alpha!

Avengers Academy #20 - 1st White Tiger
I don't know enough about this character so I WILL NOT be buying the 1st appearance.

Marvel Point One #1 - 1st New Nova
1st Nova kid and while I gave the comic a change when it came out I didn't stick with it. Why? Because we didn't' need to replace a character that was already cool. Especially with a younger version who's missing his dad and worrying about "fitting" in.

Hulk Vol. 2 #15 - 1st Red She Hulk :
Could be fun if your fan of Hulk. Worth buying at the right price. CHEAP.

Adam: Legend of the Blue Marvel #1 - 1st Blue Marvel
Yup, not even considering. Moving on.

Annihilation: Conquest #6 - 1st new Guardians of the Galaxy
Hell yeah. They have a movie franchise, adored by fans everywhere. Worth picking up multiples because that's how much I love them and this comic.

So there you go. The top Marvel 1st app from 2009 to 2013.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Your Comic List All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: