Forum Index
Home | Facebook | Twitter | Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rai-fan's Crappy Cover Collection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ibis
comic broker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to deal with dealers that take an interest in finding out what I want. The 'take it or leave it' attitude inspires me to leave it, even if he has a book I want. There was a local dealer that never had anything priced. He wondered why I never bought anything. One day he offers me a really good deal on a Silver Age book and I took it. I know he was wondering why I never bought anything. I just plain didn't like the way he ran his business. He gave great deals to his regular customers, but his store was 30 miles away and I wasn't going to jump through hoops to get on his preferred customer list.

I've always said that the most valuable thing a high end Golden Age dealer owns is his customer database. Those are the people he can sell books to as soon as he gets them with just one phone call.
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that being social and kind to your customers should be a must in our line of work but not everyone appears to act that way. Dealing with crazy customers on a daily basis can sometimes but a dealer on the defensive when it comes time to sell his merchandise. For some reason this hobby has a ton of customer renown for wearing down an owner with unrealistic request. The Simpson's comic guy can sometimes be the customer too.

When it comes to buying, if the price is good I'm willing to purchase the book as long as the sellers attitude is in check. I don't expect them to go out on a limb for me but I also don't want to get 'tude when buying. There has to be equal ground for both the buyer and the seller.
Rai-fan
Man of Comic Investing Awesomeness

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night's purchase. Only 12% under GPA and common (74 slabbed copies on the census), but this continues my slow quest to complete Batman 3-10.

whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME RAI! Applause
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I bought Marvel Premiere # 1 (first solo Warlock) in 9.6 (highest-graded) for $271 shipped.

There are 26 of them in 9.6 but no 9.8s, and going rate over the past 3 years is about $450 (with three of the last four GPA sales at $500).

I'm ambivalent about paying that much for a Bronze book (vs. say...a 4.0 Strange Tales 110), but it was a grail of mine back since back when Infinity Gauntlet came out, and my slabbed 9.0 copy was really bugging me.

It's my first super high-grade Bronze purchase.

I'm tempted to start in on 9.6/9.8 Warlock appearances (what are there...22?) but the investment potential's not there unless they revive the character. Even VG copies of FF # 66 can be found for $30 these days.
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew...after years of looking for one at a decent price, I finally bought a copy of Exciting Comics # 40 (buzz saw cover) yesterday. CGC 5.0 for $300.

It's one of the more common Schomburg war covers in the run and comes up for sale about every 9 months or so, but in five years I've never seen one in decent shape sell for under $400.

I think Nedors are finally cooling down as folks begin to focus their attention elsewhere. Hope
whetteon
Landlord

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

about time! Sumo
Rai-fan

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah--but means I won't be harassing you for yours anymore Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Collection Snapshots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: